Addvent AVX100S Fan not working but has power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hopefully be a simple one, I have a Addvent AVX100S fan in the kitchen, its never worked since moving in a year ago.

2012-12-23231930.jpg

On the wall is a fused switch, on the fan the '1 live in' and '2 Neutrel in' are connected but the earth is disconnected but cant see anywhere it can go. Looked on the manufacturer's website and doesnt mention earth.

Now if i turn the switch on, i get a volt reading with earth and live in but the fan doesnt spin, it looks like a pull cord is missing.

Does anyone know if this is operated by a pull cord/remote pull cord? Or should i just strip the thing and put it in the bin and replace it with something else?

The top part doesnt look like it can come apart.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Firstly what is being used to test the voltage? As this may not be a suitable piece of equipment for fault finding and on that matter, safe to be used for isolation and fault finding.
Even if it is showing a voltage around the 240V mark between phase and earth, that does not mean you have continuity of neutral to the appliance.
I would check that you have continuity, there are no loose, disconnected or damaged connection, this could be on the neutral side.
If there are any cables that look to have been intentionally disconnected, there maybe a valid reason for this and further investigation would be required. But if that was the case it would have been reasonable to remove fuse within isolator and disconnect the live.
As the unit is double insulated, it does not require to be connected to earth, that is why the earth cable is not connected, I personally would have exchanged the double connection strip for a triple one, leaving the spare for the earth. But do not cut it off, it becomes vital for continuity testing, fault finding and Zs readings.
It could be that the fan motor was packed in, then in that case in the bin.

Sponsored Links
I just used a multimeter to check if power is getting in which it seems it is, next i was trying to figure out how to start the fan, is it needed a pull cord or its powered directly? So far it seems this is a bin and replace case.

thanks for the advice, what would be a good suitable one? I need a powerful one but quiet as possible. My kitchen can steam up and i want to avoid opening the french doors, window is enough sometimes.

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back