Adjust flush level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please could someone advise where the adjustment screw is on the these older toilet float systems? Nothing on top of the filler. Picture attached.

Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230912_150330711.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230912_150330711.MP.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
1694531372657.png

Screw the plastic bolt in or out as required.

View attachment 313830

Screw the plastic bolt in or out as required.
Ah okay thank you, I did wonder about that bit. The metal nut is close the end and not even holding the plastic in place. To lower the float (and increase level) should I try and pull the plastic rod across the thread away from the filler?

To lower the float (and increase level)
Lowering the float will decrease the level, if you want more water then you want to raise the float but looking at the back of the cistern, the water level is just about the cistern fill mark as it is.

Sponsored Links
Lowering the float will decrease the level, if you want more water then you want to raise the float but looking at the back of the cistern, the water level is just about the cistern fill mark as it is.
Urgh ok I was thinking that lowering the float would mean it takes more water to lift it to the level you want. The current level is 2+ inches below the overflow, so wanted to raise it

Nope, lowering the float means that the arm presses up onto the valve sooner.

As suggested the line on the back of the cistern is the calibrated level that the cistern is designed to work at, any more isn't efficient and ends up using more water than it should need which is a waste TBH. Toilets are one of the most water wasteful items in our houses.

Okay, well it just so happens that I can't get the float to move in or out along that thread anyway. I can tighten the nut against it and move it slightly in but it's a little stuck in place
I presumed that the water level needed increasing a bit as we can never flush first time, always need to pull the handle a few times

Okay so my other toilet is definitely above the line and only 1mm below the overflow. Same setup, but this seems to have screws each side.. so do I screw away from the filler or towards? I.e left or right? Thank you and sorry if this is a dumb one

I presumed that the water level needed increasing a bit as we can never flush first time, always need to pull the handle a few times
If you need to pull/ operate the handle a few times to get the flush to work at all ,it's nowt to do with the float valve. Your flush mechanisms the problem ,it's diaphragm is split .

If you need to pull/ operate the handle a few times to get the flush to work at all ,it's nowt to do with the float valve. Your flush mechanisms the problem ,it's diaphragm is split .
Okay that makes sense. Just looked online and is it likely to be the oblong diaphragm with 2 holes in it? Only a couple of quid so will grab one as not planning to upgrade this toilet just yet

Okay that makes sense. Just looked online and is it likely to be the oblong diaphragm with 2 holes in it? Only a couple of quid so will grab one as not planning to upgrade this toilet just yet
That siphon looks like a single piece part, so you will have to remove the cistern to repair it.
When you do, replace it with a 2 part siphon which will allow you to replace the diaphragm without removing the cistern.
I like future proofing.

You will probably need to remove the whole Syphon to access the diaphragm ,if so take it to a plumbers merchant to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back