Advice from Texecom Experts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no need for screened cable. Anyone that used he old A1 (Omnicron) system was just asking for trouble. Worst panel ever released.

If you have a CBer or a radio ham near to you I bet you would change your RKP cables tomorrow ... :!:

Sponsored Links
There's no need for screened cable. Anyone that used he old A1 (Omnicron) system was just asking for trouble. Worst panel ever released.

If you have a CBer or a radio ham near to you I bet you would change your RKP cables tomorrow ... :!:

No I wouldn't. I was using A1 stuff 20 years ago. Never had RF problems.

There's no need for screened cable.

all depends on the distance involved - check the manual

Anyone that used he old A1 (Omnicron) system was just asking for trouble. Worst panel ever released.

correct me if I`m wrong but dont you admit to using it yourself later in the thread ? ROFLMAO

No I wouldn't. I was using A1 stuff 20 years ago. Never had RF problems.

Have you ever had an install next to a radio ham putting out 400 watts of R.F?
I have and believe you me this amount of power will induce quite high voltages in nearby cables. Depending on the frequency that can be from 1.8mhz to well over 2 gighz the results can be quite dramatic.

Read up on electromagnetic compatibility..........

Why else would screened cable be manufactured, let alone used?

Sponsored Links
There's no need for screened cable.

all depends on the distance involved - check the manual

Anyone that used he old A1 (Omnicron) system was just asking for trouble. Worst panel ever released.

correct me if I`m wrong but dont you admit to using it yourself later in the thread ? ROFLMAO

Yes. That was in the early days when it first came out. It took a while to see that it was rubbish. It seemed pretty good when it first appeared. I guess you were at school eh?

I've installed well over a thousand alarms and never needed it. I guess you are a novice eh?

Gees
You an RF expert? or have knowledge of RF?

The reason i ask is like most engineers i was trained on the implications of RF. I also went through the 'its a myth' period.
I did in my time come across issues with RF but i know very little about RF itself.

You mention freq and power etc, id be interested in a little more info if you wouldn't mind a post or 2 about it?

I originally only wanted a few more opinions on the use of screened cable I did'nt mean it to end in a full scale war!

Sounds like the use of that particular cable is up to each individual but would do more good than harm to use it :rolleyes: sorry gees :confused:

Verner I think you misunderstand me
Im genuinly interested, it seemed like an informative post
Any area of my knowledge i class as weaker than the rest i try to brush up when possible. This lad seems knowledgeable and im really hoping he will share his radio knowledge thats all

Gees
You an RF expert? or have knowledge of RF?

The reason i ask is like most engineers i was trained on the implications of RF. I also went through the 'its a myth' period.
I did in my time come across issues with RF but i know very little about RF itself.

You mention freq and power etc, id be interested in a little more info if you wouldn't mind a post or 2 about it?

I do not profess to be an expert on anything, however I did, in a former job, learn a lot about RF interference especially regarding long lengths of Twisted pair feeders. These carried Signals in the 5 to 9 mhz. range so needed to be relitivly free from external influences. Screened cables where an absolute necessary .

All I was saying in my post was if you are putting in a new system then for the cost of a few metres of beldon you may save a lot of hassle in the future.

If you want to read more then there is a wealth of info on the net.

http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/interfer.htm

Thanks Gees
I was mainly interested in your freq comment, i read that to mean that cert frq caused issues with security gear?

Thanks for the link

Thanks Gees
I was mainly interested in your freq comment, i read that to mean that cert frq caused issues with security gear?

Thanks for the link

It depends on many factors, including the quality of the cabling used for the install, and of course how near it is to a strong and most importantly Varying Electromagnetic field. The induced voltages in alarm zone wiring, tamper loops, signalling circuits and Remote Keypad wiring can cause unexplained false alarms.

You must have all had times when there is no fault apparent yet the alarm has activated!!! These may have been caused by a passing Taxi, police car,ambulance,fire engine , CBer or any other radio transmitter close by..

Talk to a manufacturer and they will say you are talking cobblers. They specifically test their kit for RF interference.
What you are saying is that there are hot spots all over the country where alarms can't function. When you've installed a few thousand - get back to us.

Talk to a manufacturer and they will say you are talking cobblers. They specifically test their kit for RF interference.
What you are saying is that there are hot spots all over the country where alarms can't function. When you've installed a few thousand - get back to us.

So this means that all of your thousands on installs have NEVER suffered from any sort of RF interference? How can you say that?

Can I refer to page 8 of the Galaxy 16 installation instructions

1. It is strongly recommended that the system is wired in a daisy-chain
configuration. That is, the A terminal from the previous module is
connected to the A terminal of the current module and then on to the A
terminal of the next module. The B line should be connected in the same
manner. Spur and star configurations should not be used as they reduce
immunity to electrical interference.
2. The cable used to wire the AB line should be screened, twisted pair
(Belden equivalent 8723) Part No. W002.
3. Screened, twisted pair cable, where used, is connected to ground (0 V)
only at the P-clip in the control panel enclosure, see Figure 1.8 P-Clip

and from texecom..

The networks are made up of four terminals incorporating power and data. To ensure
correct operation, all four terminals on the device must be connected to the
corresponding terminals on the control panel or previous device.
Expanders can be connected using 4-core cable. However, it is recommended that 6
or 8-core cable is used as the spare cores can be used to ‘Double Up’ on the power
connections if needed.
Standard 7/0.2 alarm cable can be used for most installations. However,
under certain conditions it may be necessary to use screened cable. !

Menvier

When installing cables, the following should be
noted:
l Ensure that all cables are kept clear of mains
supply cables, telephone cables, cables
supplying bells or sounders and any cables
likely to induce electrical noise (R.F.) into the
system.
l Screened cable may prove necessary if
cables are run adjacent to cables which carry
R.F. (electrical noise) or are switching high
current loads.
External Sounder

I rest my case...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back