Advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Can someone give me some advice please! I've just moved into a house and its got central heating, Ive never had central heating before so its all new to me! I have a HALSTEAD HERO 40 and a Potterton EP2000 timer in the kitchen. Upstairs I have an electric immersion heater - I know how that works cause thats what I had in my old house. I have worked out how to use the Potterton timer. I have the immersion switched off upstairs and control my hot water by using the timer downstairs, the problem Im having is when I switch the hot water on, some off the radiators come on in the house as well?? Someone has suggested that the timer could be faulty. Any advice anyone???

Sponsored Links
Could be that you have a gravity hot water system and the upstairs radiators are getting warm due to the hot water convecting up to them, or more likely the zone valve that controls the heating is not shutting properly when it is supposed to be off.

HI Dave, thanks for that. I have noticed that the downstairs radiators get slighty warm too. What is the zone valve that you mention?? Thanks

You may have 2 zone valves in your airing cupboard or 1 3 port zone vale. This will be a metal or plastic box with 2 or 3 pipes connected to it near you pump.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave, I will get someone out to have a look at it. I'll let you know how I got on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back