Alpha 240p Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a problem with my Combi Boiler.

We have recently had a new bathroom fitted and have taken out the electric shower and replaced it with a new mixer shower.

Everything was fine for a while, but over the past couple of weeks the Pilot light keeps going out after my partner gets out of the shower. This only happens after she has been in the shower.

We have usually been able to get the Pilot Light working again, however, I have had no joy since yesterday afternoon.

The Pilot light starts up when holding in the button and you can hear the clicking noise of the ignition and the fans going. I have tried holding the button in from anything from 1 to 6 minutes but as soon as you release the button it goes out.

Last week we had the thermocouple changed and gave it a good clean inside. The pattern always seems to be when she has had a shower and has been in there for approx 20 - 30 minutes.

Anyone any ideas on what the problem might be or how to get the Pilot light to stay on? We've no hot water at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this boiler has an interrupter type thermocouple but it sounds as though its overheating on the long hw demand.

Does the main burner go off as soon a the shower is turned off or does it stay on a bit after the taps shut off?

I'm not entirely sure if it goes off straight away, but from what my partner told me yesterday she went to wash up after having a shower and couldn't get any hot water at all, which would suggest its going off straught away.

How would you prevent the boiler from overheating when using the shower for a long period of time?

We have no problem when we run a bath or when I have a shower, only when she has a shower.

I can't even get the stupid thing to light up now, and surely, you should be able to once its had time to cool down?

Sponsored Links
If it wont relight after cooling the gas valve may have failed. Id recommend having an RGI check that

Cheers pablo !

I'll get that checked out. It just light up but as soon as you release the button the Pilot light goes out.

I'm sick of this boiler, nothing but problems recently. Diverter valve needed replaced just before Christmas, we had a leak after that and now this.

Update:

I've had the Thermocouple changed and also something else (can't remember tha name!).

However, we've still the same problem with the Pilot light cutting out after the mixer shower has been used.

Also the same problem we're having is that we cannot relight the boiler after letting in cool down even though we have changed those parts.

We get the Pilot light on, and can here the fans going as before and as soon as you release the button it goes out.

Its really puzzling, and it all coincides with putting this new mixer shower in.

Anyone provide any further advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back