Am I being reasonable complaining about...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a plasterer in to board a ceiling and skim ceiling and walls. There's a few things I'm not happy with but what do people think, am I just being a whinger or should I make him put it right before I pay the other half of the money?

- specification was for two layers of board on ceiling but on one section, a slightly lower part about 4-5sqm in size has only got one layer. I was going to ask him to come back and put a second layer and reskim that part.

- There are quite a few areas where it looks like they made a nice job of it only to splash it with plaster later. It's going to need a sand and a little bit os filling before it's ready to paint. I can do that but it's probably a day's work. I thought if you paid for a skim you could expect just to paint it? Or is it reasonable for them to expect me to sand it before painting?

- they've left quite a lot of rubble and leftover plaster in bags, which will cost me fifty quid or so at the tip. To be fair I didn't specify disposal of waste but can I expect it as standard?

I've never hired a plasterer before so I don't know if I'm being reasonable complaining about these things or not. 

Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
Firstly if you paid for double boards and it hasn't been done then it needs doing.

As for plaster "flicking" and "splashing" around, it'll only take 5 mins to knock them or sand them off. Plastering is not 100% perfect, sometimes it is, sometimes it ain't, and when i say aint i mean 99% perfect.

When you miss coat the ceiling you will see any inperfection, and they can be quickly filled. If there are loads of dents and scratched and it needs loads of filling then its been done badly.

If it takes more than 10 minutes of sanding and filling on a few tiny spots then i would call him back.

As for the waste removal, i take mine away and dump it myself, that i cant help you with.

As above, but do you mean one ceiling has a single layers, or one section of a ceiling has?

The waste disposal is really down to the quote you got, I'm afraid.

It should be standard pracitce to remove any splahses but the odd one can be missed .

thanks for that. in the main room there's one part of the ceiling that's lower than the rest but it's still a ceiling and it's only got one layer of board on it, so it's part of one room but 4-5sqm in total, so not that small.

sounds like i should ask him to put a second layer of board on it, but perhaps don't worry about the rubbish.

As for the sanding and filling, there are quite a lot, it'll definitely take more than 10 mins. What's the best thing to use to fill the dents and scratches?

Sponsored Links
EASI FILL

Go to bnq and get a 5kg bag, that will do it perfectly

I don't like the idea of sanding plaster - it creates a condition known as 'suede' and on a ceiling will stand out as a flat patch that takes buckets of paint to get right.
Were they Brits? What did they charge? If you paid peanuts..

i agree joe, but if the "plasterer" wont do it, he may have too.

Were they british or foreigners who do it for £20 and are briliant. Joe proper loves them.

They came round today and put a second layer and skim on the bit and cleared up the worst of the splashes. I've left the rubbish seeing as they never promised to get rid of it. Overall it's a pretty good job I guess. They were Brits, by the way, and I don't know whether I paid over the odds or not. But it's a professional job, there's no way I could have made it look like that.

They came round today and put a second layer and skim on the bit and cleared up the worst of the splashes. I've left the rubbish seeing as they never promised to get rid of it. Overall it's a pretty good job I guess. They were Brits, by the way, and I don't know whether I paid over the odds or not. But it's a professional job, there's no way I could have made it look like that.

Well done, I hope the comments here helped you stand your ground.

Ignore Joe's comments. Like most xenophobes, he'll ignore any examples that don't suit. :)

This example involves a Brit, but doesn't mean a Brtish worker is bad, or good - just that this poarticular one made a cock up; and came back to sort it out.

Customers don't really care about nationality as long as they get a good job done at a reasonable rate

Yes but you are Polish aren't you?

As far as I know joe, no Polish on either side, not that it would be a problem if I had ! Don't know where you get that from??

Mixture of Pompey, Yorkshire , Irish, with a hint of Scot. Maybe even a touch of Norman.

Like most in these islands, including yourself, a real mixture.

A touch of Norman Wisdom if you want a country filled with migrants taking Brit jobs off Brit families.

A touch of Norman Wisdom if you want a country filled with migrants taking Brit jobs off Brit families.

Not the same thing at all joe.

We are not helping the OP with irrelevant, paranoid, kneejerk, queations like 'was he a Brit?' rather than actually dealing with the problem in hand.

If we went by your logic , all you 'proved' in this case is that a Briitish workman made a cock up. Does that actually prove that British workmen are poor?- of course not. So why keep asking the question in so many threads?

All the average poster wants here is a solution, not your views on immigration.

They are the views of the vast majority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back