Anyone Made their own wardrobe? ? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Just wondered if anyone had made their own wardrobe? ? ?

I am getting continually frustrated with paying for stuff which the bottom of the drawers drop out of and also has 'weak' looking back boards, not cheap either.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes. But you can also strengthen flat pack stuff.

When you assemble furniture make-up drawer bottoms from 6mm plywood, or better still 9mm plywood with the edges rebated so they will slide into the grooves for the original drawer bottoms (rebate uppermost, BTW). Backs can often be replaced by pieces if 15mm MFC (melamine faced chipboard) although it is better to widen the grooves by using a router than to rebate then replacement panel. A simple strengthening strategy is to cut 2 or 3 cross braces the same width as the back inside the sides and glue this into position behind the wardrobe (it may be necessary to pull this in to the back panel by screwing through from the inside of the wardrobe with 3 or 4 screws) - also glue the back panel into the grooves with some PVA glue and leave to set. For the ultimate in extra strength glue the joints before screwing the unity together together - I do this with flat pack kitchen units although I do use a low-foam PU glue rather than PVA.

All this means you won't be able to dismantle the stuff when you move - but normally you can't in any case (because it self destructs at the sight of a dismantler's screwdriver!)

Regards

Scrit

Hi Scrit.

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

That was something that i was thinking to be honest.

You know like the weak boards you get in the bottom of the drawers, like you say, get some wood cut up and then basically place that in the same place? ? ?

Same with the back.

Does the wood have to be expensive or can some cheaper woods work as they wont really be on show? ? ?

SaintGJR7 said:
You know like the weak boards you get in the bottom of the drawers, like you say, get some wood cut up and then basically place that in the same place? ? ?
On lower-cost pieces I've made I've actually used an 8mm melamine-faced chipboard or melamine faced MDF before now. this material is a lot stronger and more rigid than the 4mm stuff used in low-cost flat-pack furniture and will take a lot more weight, especially if you glue it into the grooves. It typically comes in two-tone (white one side, beige on the other although beech/brushed metal is also available), but unfortunately in huge 10 x 5ft sheets at around £30 per sheet. It is made for kitchen and bedroom makers and one source I know of in Manchester and Sheffield is Hills Panel Products who will cut to size for you as well. Depending on where in the UK you live there is probably a local sheet material supplier who can oblige. This material also makes rigid back inserts (again even better if glued in). Failing that stuff drawer bottoms can always be made from hardwood plywood (birch ply is the best) which can even be had in half sheets from B&Q. The downside to plywood is that you will need to seal (lacquer/varnish) it before you install.

SaintGJR7 said:
Does the wood have to be expensive or can some cheaper woods work as they wont really be on show? ? ?
The ideal is to put in both thicker and more rigid material to replace the original bottoms/backs and to glue the pieces into the grooves in order to make the entire structure more rigid.

Incidentally, if you can't find a local sheet stock supplier, ring Kronospan in Chirk and enquire who your local distributor is. Kronospan are a UK manufacturer of 8mm MFC

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Awesome Scrit.

Thank you so much again, really appreciate the advice and in-depth knowledge.

Much appreciated mate.

Just a thought. If you have a local firm who make kitchen cabinets or bedroom units (as opposed to just flogging them) they may be willing to supply you with a half or quarter sheet.

Scrit

Thanks mate i will have a look.

Is this something that would be listed in YELL.com? ? ?

If so, what would it be under, generally.

Many Thanks again.

Try under "Kitchen Furniture Manufacturers" or possibly "Kitchen Planning & Installation"

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back