applying 17edition regs to older properties,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me how to apply 17th ed regs re earthing in an older prorety, built 10 years before 17th was released, this relates to Cross Bonding of taps in Kitchen and Bathroom etc, under 17th ed regs cross bonding is not required! unless i read it wrong! so does this mean all earth wires should or could be removed from early properties to comply with 17th Any advice much appreciated,
Cheers ro

Sponsored Links
Can someone tell me how to apply 17th ed regs re earthing in an older prorety, built 10 years before 17th was released, this relates to Cross Bonding of taps in Kitchen and Bathroom etc, under 17th ed regs cross bonding is not required! unless i read it wrong! so does this mean all earth wires should or could be removed from early properties to comply with 17th Any advice much appreciated,
Cheers ro

But just in case you dont do further reading, the answer to your question is absolutely not. Check all the other 17th requirements that are relevant to your question, then and only then may'be. But unless your CU has been updated i still think the answer will be no.

Supplementary bonding in a kitchen wasn't required under the 16th edn either.

Sponsored Links
under 17th ed regs cross bonding is not required! unless i read it wrong!
You read it wrong.
No such thing as 'cross bonding' and the wires which you are probably describing can't just be removed either.

No such thing as 'cross bonding'
'equipotential bonding' and 'cross bonding' mean the same thing, bringing items to the same potential. and is discussed on this forum!

Agreed. 'Cross bonding' is a meaningless expression.

At the heart of the industry's inability to understand earthing and bonding is the use of incorrect terminology.

And it's not the minority, it's almost everybody I meet.

And it's not the minority, it's almost everybody I meet.

Indeed. I always find it amusing how some people concentrate on using correct terminology for a 2391-301 written exam and then immediately revert to using incorrect terminology.

Searching found this!
I am not sure why the nitpicking about the term 'cross bonding' it is a valid term and 'cross bonding of an array' has been around a long while, an array could be a group of gas pipes water pipes, conduits, or lead cables, metalwork, sink, etc ,in the High Voltage world a group of ten lead sheathed cables in the ground could be cross bonded to an earth spike to bring them all to the same potential and keep the sheath voltages down, at the end of the day supplemental 'equipotential bonding' and 'cross bonding' mean the same thing, bringing items to the same potential to minimise touch voltage, heat and induction, so I suppose it’s who you want to impress! old skool 'cross bonding' so the client understands the simplicity!
or new skool 'equipotential bonding' so the client doesn’t understand the impressive scientific term so you can charge more.!

I've found a guide on how to kill my friends and family while searching the internet.

Doesn't mean it's right though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back