applying 17edition regs to older properties,

Sponsored Links
I doubt 99% of clients understand the correct terminology of supplimentary equipotential bonding, let alone the slang of cross bonding, which means nothing, i have heard plumbers refere to cross bonding in reference to installing main equipotential bonding conductors. Slang can be a dangerous thing, imagine a smoker in america, gasping for a fag.

Sponsored Links
old skool 'cross bonding' so the client understands the simplicity!

Not an approved old term and still just slang - and the client neither understands nor cares.

or new skool 'equipotential bonding' so the client doesn’t understand the impressive scientific term so you can charge more.!

Get with the programme! It's been called equipotential bonding forever... but you now refer to the conductors themselves as 'protective' bonding conductors, which has the benefit of being more client-friendly as well.

It will never make any difference what words are used, nor will anything be more or less client-friendly, for as long as some electricians don't understand the difference between earthing and bonding.

It's funny. When my second-best half was looking at a house she had a checklist with her advising what she should ask the estate agent. One of the items listed was "earth bonding" whatever that is supposed to mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back