Appreciate a bit of help please ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not sure if I’m looking for the right PCB though ...
The boiler is a Glow Worm Hideaway 40B FF ... as far as I can work out, the PCB original number would have been 227030 .... I have looked into it a bit, and as far as I’m aware this part number would have gone over too 2000801990 (I think)
I’ve seen reconditioned units and new units available online ... the prices vary greatly, and I’m thinking if I buy one there is a chance what I purchase might not be the fix though that is what the guy recons will fix the boiler problems.
The prices vary greatly ... from £30 recon - £200 ... obviously if the PCB doesn't sort the problem out, I’d rather be out of pocket as little as possible, I’m sure you will understand. I’ve paid the guy for the diagnosis and he wasn’t overcharging me IMHO ... he will fit the PCB for £80 so that sounds reasonable.
Basically I would appreciate advise firstly ... is the part number 2000801990 the right part for my boiler and where would you guys source the part from ... cheers guys

Sponsored Links
2000801990 is the part number and it is a 5 minute job.

Cheers DM46 .... would you or anyone be able to suggest were I get one from ... from £30 for recon unit to £200 for a new unit is a massive difference .... if the recon unit would do the job, obviously I'd plump for the recon unit ... but happy to take advice off the site! ... cheers

Sponsored Links
recons are garbage and not approved. (grey area legally, but I think they should be banned).

Its an unusual situation where you call someone to diagnose the fault and then get the part yourself.

If you do that then you are risking wasting your money on the new part if it turns out not to be the fault!

In the normal course of events the engineer gets the parts and fits them and if they do not cure the fault then you dont have to pay for them ( or his diagnosis if he is unable to rediagnose the fault correctly ).

Tony

Cheers Guys for the information ... what actually happened was my missus contacted a guy, he by all accounts (I was working when she contacted him and he called round) works for a bigg'ish company, and it seems he has done this job on the side (cash in hand) or so it seems. She has a mobile phone number to contact him when I've got the part. This was before Xmas, due to the expense of Xmas we had to hold off getting the job done.

I will take you're advise and stay clear of a recon unit ... but could any of you recommend a place to purchase one from ... yep the typical moans coming lol if it’s possible to save a bit of cash I'd appreciate it lol ... Ambulancemen don't earn much :( ..... Cheers guys ...

It can be false economy doing anything like that because you have no comeback if anything goes wrong! I would never advise anyone to do that!

Repaired parts CAN be good value and I am aware that a lot of third world boiler repairers use them in NW London. The one in Watford is technically not bad. But I am biased because BOTH firms give out my number if anyone gets into difficulties with a boiler repair! Any genuine CORGI is not meant to use them because they are not manufacturer's approved parts.

I have a lot of sympathy for ambulance staff and when I left the BBC for a few days I had a burning desire to do that myself. I know that the reality in London is that much of the time you are dealing with what are really social issues rather than genuine RTAs etc. Drug addicts, old people who should really be in a nursing home and of course the drunks !

Also the wages in some cases are not really reflecting the real value that a fully trained paramedic should deserve. The problem is that so much of the work is just driving people around rather than the life saving aspects. The pay structure of the NHS has rather revolved around consultants rather than the support staff who make up most of the payroll. Having said that nurses are not doing badly now when they are experienced. I have even thought that its getting good enough to attract back British female staff into nursing. At least its become a good career for males now.

One of my trainees managed to cut his hand changing a boiler fan ( I must have changed a few hundred with no injuries but... ) and I took him to the ( then newly opened ) Edgeware walk-in centre and I was surprised that all the staff were 35-60 y.o. white British. I even asked a doctor afterwards and he said that the brand new facilities were attracting back many british nurses because they were seen as a good working environment providing excellent services to the public. Exactly the opposite of the Victorian hospitals where all the staff were from overseas with variable skill levels.

Tony

I would always avoid a recon on a boiler where the manufacturer has redesigned the board. This is the same board as the micron which was modified several times. So your recon board could be 4 or 5 designs out of date and harbouring an inherent fault.

I'm just a bit stuck as too where I'm going to buy one from :rolleyes:

Cheers Guys for the information ... what actually happened was my missus contacted a guy, he by all accounts (I was working when she contacted him and he called round) works for a bigg'ish company, and it seems he has done this job on the side (cash in hand) or so it seems. She has a mobile phone number to contact him when I've got the part. This was before Xmas, due to the expense of Xmas we had to hold off getting the job done.

Be aware that he is effectively not corgi registered when doing jobs this way, as for all competent persons schemes, it is the business that is registered. You may have difficulties if you need legal backup.

I understand those that may think this is not the normal route, but it’s the way things turned out. As mentioned I have never met the guy, buy my missus said he came across as a decent type of guy, as mentioned if anyone can give me advise as too where to buy one of these PCB’s I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve googled the part number and a few outlets have turned up, just though it might have been a better idea if I was to purchase the part from a proven outlet, one that was known and trusted by some of you guys.

Got sorted ... New unit with postage £55.00 .... its worth shopping round! ..... thanks for the advise chaps .. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back