Isar try to help customer save money not worth the hassle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isar pcb and unit blown I give price and was told "can you help please can't afford £400 " I got pcb and unit for £40 I checked fan ok so I put them in and away it went I said "£150" give 3 month guarantee and paid and got a call the fella his dad "ideal coming out £150 old parts disgusting either pay it back OR" I said "I'm taking the OR" and hung up anyway ideal went and rang me "used parts fitted charged for new so I'm going to inform gas safe " I said"150 if was pcb and unit and a service I wrote on invoice parts recon 3 nth guarantee " "what ? Eh mate £150 that's great" I won't be helping again

Sponsored Links
ea8ac9a3b4ec4105a4c588a1ce35a5e5428f9f423e8245307e2a0964654acb50_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Malko, what did the service consist of
How did you check the fan

Fan the 2 end connectors on the fan was only giving 38 so I took it out got to the coil and were it connects the two prongs one was loose and it was filthy inside the coil area so just made the connection strong and cleaned it and got 119 and the service ok wasn't a full service but after I'd got it fired it was yellowish so I cleaned it at heat exchanger and burner I put inhibitor in made sure the trap was clear I anslysed combustion and the fan is one of the parts that blows them pcb so ok I got the correct reading after doing the couple of things I'm not trying to make out it was a big thing doing it and the service and inhibitor which I put it and didn't charge as I got gallons of it and with the silicone gun set up takes minutes but there jobs I need not do I could have gone there looked seen the transformer area burnt on casing and the unit and said "right you need parts the pcb and display unit are needed but I can't promise everything else is ok but until got them in wont know and just to buy them is £231 and £90 so £321 and then labour " and just got the £60 I said to call out and cover first hour but if I can't diagnose the problem no charge and I ll advice before parts fitted

Agile I don't think im gonna win Britians best boiler breakdown engineer" I hate using that word engineer as we're not at all but sounds better than boiler fella how would u check it

It is very difficult to test the electronic fans apart from seeing they turn freely. And looking for burnt components if boiler is not working and you are going to fit a new PCB.

But get it wrong and a faulty fan can blow your nice new PCB!

But maybe DP has special tricks to tell us about checking fans.

Tony

On the Isar/Icos measure the fan coil resistance....if less than 110 ohms assume it's faulty. Also check resistance to the casing....obviously should be infinity. There's a 2.2 ohm resistor on the pcb that will burn out if the fan's iffy. Transformers on the pcb often fail too. Heat damage and measuring the coil windings will confirm.

Malko this the open forum if you're RGI you should join the CC details in the FAQ above no gas advice in this forum but no harm done as your post is so close to unintelligible as your sentence length so extreme just compare to Tony's post above where not only does he use shortish sentences but also paragraph breaks to set out his thoughts coherently and easy for the reader to get what he's saying, no offence meant but do join the CC the initiation rituals aren't nearly as bad as some make out and you get a better class of banter generally except sometimes.

Forgive the pastiche; join the CC!

Yes thanks. I had 119 ohms after I'd took it out as I had 40+ first so I thought gone but the prong inside at the coil was very loose so I fixed that just with pliers nothing much I know but just that and getting the muck off the coil it was bad I put it back together and got 119ohms. The transformer was gone as the orange casing were the transformer is was black and bulged the pcb fuse was blew to bits. I checked I had 240 first drom switch spare but the wiring the N was L and L was Neautral.I used my extension when testing new parts as who knows what's gone on. Thanks la

Last edited:
Yes Poles, but the BBC kindly sent me on a three day technical report writing course.

But I am glad that it shows!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back