Aqualisa Digital Shower - Pressure issue?

Yellow, I still haven't got this

Do you have:-

The same hot water cylinder that is fed from a cold cistern above it?
A new combi boiler and the hot water cylinder was removed??
Or a new un-vented hot water cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Yellow, I still haven't got this

Do you have:-

The same hot water cylinder that is fed from a cold cistern above it?
A new combi boiler and the hot water cylinder was removed??

Holy cr@p just what was thinking...we need some hard facts.

You can not pump mains pressure...!

If you've changed your hot water cylinder to a mains fed(unvented) set up, you can not pump it....at all.

If you've changed to a combi boiler, you can not pump it...at all.

If you still have a tank fed hot water cylinder (vented) nothing should change.

The only differences between the pumped and non pumped auqalisa digital units...is the pump.

Hi all,

There have been some common thoughts raised on this discussion and that feedback is most welcomed, as it will help us address this and provide more guidance on our website.

It is obvious that there are two different black processor boxes:
• One for gravity-fed water systems - has its own integral pump.
and
• One for mains fed (high pressure unvented systems or Combination / condensing boilers) - no pump fitted.

The only exception to the above is if a customer wished to have / utilise a separate stand-alone pump on their gravity fed water system, in which case they would fit the standard (un-pumped) processor box.

Indeed if there were one universal box, we there would be no need to have the above 2.

In regards to the dial inside of the box, this is a common component for both processor boxes. If one were to inspect more closely, the label is divided into 2 halves:

• Left side is white and the selections are for High Pressure, Combi and stand-alone pump systems ONLY.
• Right side is shaded light grey and indicates the selections for GRAVITY WATER SYSTEMS ONLY.

Reasons for changing the processor when switching from Gravity to High Pressure.

• Each box is designed to match the water system and provide the optimal performance.
• The seals inside of the Pumped processor box are for low pressure only - the maximum inlet pressure can be up to 1 bar.

The debate appears to be whether to fit a pressure reducing valve or not? So please consider:

• The pump will still be running and this is likely to convene water regs.
• If you have the dial on the processor and can switch off the pump, you would still be required to lower the pressure to below 1 bar; greatly affecting the performance of the shower.
• If the pressure reducing valve were to fail and the pressure exceeded our recommended 1 bar pressure this could create a leak; and given that most processor boxes are located in the loft this could present some household insurance issues.

In summary, there are two different processor boxes, each having their intended purposes. There are many ideas being thrown about of how best to help yellowplum and many others with the same enquiry.

For the cost of fitting good quality PRVs and then to compromise performance, plus still have a potential leak risk, versus purchasing a new processor box that is correctly specified and will have a manufacturer’s warranty, we would always recommend a new processor that suits the system requirements.

As always, for technical advice we are available on 01959 560010 during working hours.

The standard high pressure processor is available *****

Kind regards,
Clare @ Aqualisa

mine has a grey box, I suppose for low-pressure as I have a loft tank.

Sponsored Links
The only debate I can see here, is understanding what HW system Yellow has. That will define what processor is required.

yellow, if you can clarify please - Do you have:-

A hot water cylinder that is fed from a cold water cistern above it?
A new combi boiler and the hot water cylinder has now been removed??
Is your current digital shower pumped or not?

if you can specify then perhaps we can move forward??

Its a Viessmann 200 System boiler with a Joule twin coil unvented cylinder. The current shower is an Aqualisa Axis digital shower with a grey pumped processor box.

Its a Viessmann 200 System boiler with a Joule twin coil unvented cylinder. The current shower is an Aqualisa Axis digital shower with a grey pumped processor box.

Ah..well you need a new un pumped shower then.

Although if it was me, I would take the cover off and disconnect the pump from inside and see how it goes.

Thanks to Clare for taking the time to reply. :!:

Grey processor boxes are old and before my time working with them.

The black box units are easily converted as it is only the pump unit that has different seals.

The mixing half of the box is the same. . Unless you have the American version ;)

The box is in my parents house so I can't take pictures of it that easily. However I am visiting tomorrow and will try and take the cover off and take pictures so you guys can see precisely what I am talking about.

Yayyy...excellent, we have now established the position.

The system's been changed from gravity fed to unvented mains pressure Hot Water. Cool, ok then, if Aqualisa is stating their low pressure processors seals may fail due to the system now being mains pressure then, there must be a difference in the unit part from the pump :p
New processor (ouch) required before a new ceiling is?? :)
That may spark off another debate as to the difference between the pumped and non pumped processor, why use different seals? Doesn't really follow the mass production ethos of use as many of the same parts as possible across models to keep costs down but hey been wrong before, wish I had both to compare :)

Clare, for all your advice, unfortunately it had not been established that the OP's HW cylinder had actually been changed to un-vented, just that the boiler had changed from a vented to pressurised system, which could easily have been the CH/HW Boiler primary circuit.
That added to the fact that being an Aqualisa rep your ultimate recommendation was, in essence, spend lots of money with us to correct the issue, when it wasn't clear what the actual situation was. I am sure your intentions were honorable in approach but being the supplier...hmmm... I apologise if I sound a little skeptical. Clarity was required before a consensus could be reached.

I think Claire believes what she is told about the seals.

I don't believe it myself.

Op has stated its a unvented cylinder.

I forgot to take a picture when I was up as it wasn't the priority for them. I will get a picture soon.

I would agree on the manufacturing cost and the seals issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back