Architects fees

Guy,

Tell him you will not pay until you have viewed the drawings and are happy with his design. I mean come on, he could have designed a kennel for all you know.

Something doesn't sound right if he is demanding money before you have even seen his design. Maybe he has had a bad experience in the past so he is being cautious.

Whatever his reasons, i think you need to talk to him and ascertain if he his a fully fledged architect or just a technician. Get him to explain his costs.

It seems a bwoody lot of money to me seeing he isnt submitting the flans and regs and paying on your behalf.

Good luck Guy,

Im sure it will be all worth it once the extension is up.

Sponsored Links
I have the drawings for planning, which are Ok ish. He wants the the whole estimate for just those, and not the whole job for the estimate price.

Guy, from the content of your posts, the guy appears to be taking the P***, don’t pay him anything more than you already have! You’ve already crossed the planning hurdle; you don’t need him to replicate what you’ve already achieved! Tell him you’re not going to pay anything unless he delivers what you contracted him to do, i.e. approved BC plans & specs - & don’t pay anything until they are approved!; tell him to deliver what you’ve contracted him for or **** off & take you to court if he feels the need!

Thankfully I haven't paid him anything yet!
Just waiting for his response as to why I am being charged so much for just the planning drawings and getting nothing else.
Like you say, I won't be paying anything!

Sponsored Links
It gets worse!
Just realised that the drawings are wrong because existing elevations refer to the site before I starting building.
So now that I have finished building one part of the build, this now becomes the existing and not the proposed.
What has this man done? NOTHING
Really spoilt my weekend

Why is he doing planning drawings when you said that you have done these and got the scheme through planning. AIUI, you only wanted him to do the bregs drawings?

Are you clear what instructions you gave him?

And is he an Architect (RIBA) or not?

We wanted to change the original design, and I just didn't have the time to amend them. He has come up with what we wanted and is going to achieve this with certain specs that I wouldn't have been able to think of.
We asked him to do the redesign and the building regs, but he has already used up the estimate on just the redesign drawings and not the regs drawings.
I think this unfair as we were not informed of the overspend, which is against RIBA guidlines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back