asbestos?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the big cloud of dust when i pulled it out hasnt helped, mask on and a spray of soapy water to get the rest out i think.

After studying the site, there is no reference to the types of asbestos. :mad:

Its like smoking... 50 fags in a row aint gonna kill ya. 30 a day for 40 years will damage you.

My grandfather (at 91) dealt with that stuff all his life. He is ok (by luck I guess). But ripping a bit out is a bit like standing by a bonfire. Why worry? The stress will cause a stroke!

My dad saws it up (like we all do in the plumbing trade) and bags it.

Just accept its there and dont worry about it.

Paul.

After studying the site, there is no reference to the types of asbestos. :mad:

Its like smoking... 50 fags in a row aint gonna kill ya. 30 a day for 40 years will damage you.

My grandfather (at 91) dealt with that stuff all his life. He is ok (by luck I guess). But ripping a bit out is a bit like standing by a bonfire. Why worry? The stress will cause a stroke!

My dad saws it up (like we all do in the plumbing trade) and bags it.

Just accept its there and dont worry about it.

Paul.
Just like some people don't have problems with smoking some get away with handling asbestos.

But although you Granddad may have got away with it my dad has not. It seems most likely while he was in Navy which he left at end of war. Not found until he was 75 now 86 and suffering.

Seems it may have shown up earlier if he had smoked but that was not one of his vices.

However to suggest just getting on with job is crazy. I have heard it said plumbers (Workers in lead) are affected by the lead in same way as hatters were affected with mercury. You seem to be proving it as correct!

Yeah im not worried, but ive got rid of it all wearing a mask, its all abut probability, more you come into contact with the fibres the higher the probability. One fag could cause cancer but its extremely unlikely.

Thanks again.

the problem is that it's not just while you're removing it..
those fibres that are released will be on top of the windowcill, the picture frame, the sideboard, the lamp shade and anywhere else that dust settles..

everything should be vacuumed with a HEPA filter vacuum and dusted with a damp cloth...

Yeah that's asbestos, and it was a bad idea to remove it yourself. Like others have said you will have contaminated the whole room, your clothes will be contaminated too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back