Asda tills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went the Asda today with the other half........... under protest i must add....... anyway got groceries and there was only 2 tills with moderate que.s ... there was four other staff helping people to use the self service.......... common sense would be to put the other 4 staff on the tills ... we are being groomed/ trained to use self service so they can do away with tills altogether. I told my other half next time I am a chauffer it will NOT be Asda

Sponsored Links
I make a point of queueing up at the till and every time I get asked to use a self service check out.
My answer: " Do you give discount to customers doing your job?"
Then I usually add: "Do you know those machines are taking away your job? You should encourage people to use the cashier operated check out so you won't be out of your job in a few years time"
Worse of the lot is Asda.
My gigantic local Asda is down to 3 tills, some scanner thing checkouts and 2 dozen self checkout.

Imagine the chaos at xmas............ can see asda losing business through this idea

They’re all the same now. I scan my shop as I go round Sainsburys, load it into the bags in my trolley, one blip of the scanner when I get to the till, pay by phone and I’m outta there! Sod all that loading it onto the conveyor belt then repacking it again.

Mrs Mottie had the same view as previous posters in this thread about doing people out of jobs but I reminded her that if she was that way inclined, she shouldn't be buying from supermarkets in the first place! She should run round local businesses getting milk from milkman, fish from the fishmonger’s, meat from the butchers, fruit and veg from the greengrocer, papers and magazines from the newsagent, chocolate from the confectioners, plants and seeds from the garden centre, wine from the wine shop, frozen food from Iceland, dog food and treats from the pet shop, cards from the card shop, flowers from the florist, printer Ink and paper from the stationers, etc etc.

That shut her up. :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe if people started leaving full trolleys at packed manned checkouts and refused to use self serving tills and walked out they may change their minds, i did this a while ago in my local large Tesco with only 2 tills open, and now use Morrisons who seem to be better staffed.

self scan/self service may suit some people but you can see they are cutting down staff to make even more profits,,,, i will wait complaining in a que

Correct yes we are being groomed into becoming a cashless society! which leaves us in the future of who? Mobile phone= digital rationing book Hmmm... lets see how that works out for you children!

even our local co-op now has 3 or 4 self service tills and have about 9 manned till outlets , BUT only 1 person on - so big queue as people dont want self service OR more likely , as i overhead most want to buy fags which are behind the counter
having said that , my otherhalf is always very complementary about Aldi - loads of people on tills - que max 1 person , unlike Lidl - 2 tills open and queues up the isle - she spoke to manager and ONLY 3 staff on site and for some reason H&S meant 1 had to be elsewhere - NO self Service

Well I take the box at the front door and carry it to the kitchen and tip the stuff out - shoving the fridge stuff in the fridge and freezer ditto.
Usually 4 boxes or so.

I never have to queue at the front door, I'm the only one there unless staff beats me to it..

One bloke I recognised, he's doing an OU degree in philosophy. I suggested John Locke would be proud of him, but he hadn't done John Locke (approved of gaining knowledge) yet so it fell flat. Next time he came he asked if I was the John Locke bloke. How we chortled over the substituted cat food which was the wrong exciting flavour so would the cat be in the box next time....

Since the Issa Brothers bought it, Asda is now the most likely supermarket chain to fail.

All they are doing is asset stripping on their 'race to the bottom'.

I use the self service tills, I Like them, I use the scan & shop tills and I like them even more.
I do not find it any more work etc. to put my own purchases through the self scan tills.

The manned tills are always full, the self scan tills very rarely full.

Although I agree with the above, since being bought out things have got worse.
My local store has been in complete disarray recently during a refit, staff levels are extremely low due to illnesses with zero cover forcing more work onto those that still can.
Asda are also the only major supermarket that have not raised the wage of the employees.

I still puzzle why some people don't self scan. I see people with maybe 4 items but in big queue to get someone else to scan till? I could understand if getting on a bit and not confident with tech, but when you look most look confident modern thinking sorts. Must have too much time on to waste! Whatever.

It costs a fortune to put people on tills so cost cutting means letting people do it themselves. Won't be long and it's will be just a case of walking through scanner and pay. Won't be any tills.

I still puzzle why some people don't self scan. I see people with maybe 4 items but in big queue to get someone else to scan till?
Sometimes I e popped into Sainsbury's to buy just a couple of items and found the tills and the self service tills with big queues so I’ve gone back to the entrance, picked up a scanner, scanned my couple of items and I’m away.

I started doing the self scan method when I started doing the shopping at the beginning of the pandemic for several reasons - I’m not standing in a queue with others for ages while frozen stuff partially thaws and my goods have not been touched by an extra person who may have been handling germ covered cash. Long before covid, I once made the till operator remove some loose tomatoes from my shopping because he coughed into his hand and used the same hand to push them along the conveyor belt. Yuk.

Was in a store a few ago - a queue for the self service told while there was 3 manned tills with no customers!

Me, I get pointed at self service tills, I tell the staff I stopped playing shop keepers when I was 7 ( at the time my grandparents gave up their shop.)

Sponsored Links
Back