Automatic cooker extract?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a gizmo that will switch on the kitchen/cooker extract fan automatically when the electric cooker/grill is turned on?

I'm really fed up with my wife forgetting to turn on the fan when she turns on the cooker! :LOL:

I'm thinking maybe perhaps an IR detector sited over the hob?

Sponsored Links
Beat her!!!!! and then sell her jewelery!!!!

Not aware of anything that will start the extractor when you start cooking, is the cooker gas or elec?

With the timer requirements most cookers are left 'on'. If they weren't and your wife turns the cooker on at the cooker switch it would be easy enough to wire an extractor via the switched side of the cooker point (and an in line f/spur).

But I doubt that helps :D

Proximity sensor would be a bit OTT, but would work if designed and adjusted to sense body movement by the cooker.

A thermistor switches at temperature, I'm sure a temperature activated sensor could be sourced and used. So anything above say 35 deg C activated the fan.

Install a smoke detector under the extractor hood. Tell the wife the alarm means 'turn the blasted fan on'. You'd then have to remove the battery and be sure to replace it before the next day's dinner is cooked. She'd soon get the message. Or leave you.

Alternatively, you could use a current transformer switch to operate the extractor which would detect the load on the cooker circuit.

Liam

Sponsored Links
Feed the cooker supply via a contactor the coil of which is fed from the supply to the fan in the extractor. No extraction. no power to the cooker.

Simples..........

a current switch on the live feed to the cooker, switching a relay or contactor..

The 1A/230V version of that CT switch could probably directly switch the extractor without a relay/contactor. My big 120cm 3-speed + lighting hood is rated 190W max. 1A fuse fitted in FCU/plug of extractor of course.

Liam

Install a smoke detector under the extractor hood. Tell the wife the alarm means 'turn the blasted fan on'. You'd then have to remove the battery and be sure to replace it before the next day's dinner is cooked. She'd soon get the message. Or leave you.
Liam

But then again this idea has a certain.....something!

Feed the cooker supply via a contactor the coil of which is fed from the supply to the fan in the extractor. No extraction. no power to the cooker.

Simples..........

Also good but could be really annoying :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back