B and Q Insulated Timber Loft Board - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all

I have most of my loft insulated to 300mm but would like small area near the natch - and a "path" to the water tank - boarded. I want ot keep things as well insulated as possible and so am looking at this product:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...mpid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=411682691

I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to share their opinion on it?

Strangely, it does not seem as though places like Wickes and Screwfix do an equivalent product, which struck me as a bit odd.

And are there any more efficient or cheaper ways of going about it?

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
my opinion is that the price is absurd

other vendors sell slabs of insulating foam, and sheets of chipboard. They have not been cut into tiny panels and glued together and had the price multiplied by 10.

Hi there

With regard the chipboard, do you mean the tongue and groove loft panels?

As for the slabs of insulating foam, I have no idea what kind of thing I would need that would be similar to this B and Q stuff. So any lkinks would be extremely helpful.

Many many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
@JohnD

John

The price isn't really ridiculous when looking at the links you give for sheet insulation.

These chip/poly boards are GBP 14/m2 for 100 mm insulation and 22 mm chipboard and it would cost GBP 10/m2 to buy 100 poly insulation alone.

Given this cost, plus the added cost of the chipboard vs the ease of transport/installation of the composite boards and no need to have to cut (nice straight lines ) to get the stuff in the loft, I think this is a very valid DIY product.

Only reservation I would have (and have not read all info ) is that I don't see how it will be installed. Put it onto the joists and any significant weight/pressure will compress/crumple that PS directly over the joists and then it will start to break up.

those toy panels you are looking at are 0.384m² each and £7.98

That makes them £20.78 per m²

Ooops, let down by my mental arithmetic :oops: Embarrassing ! No excuses though.

But that's only for 75 mm amd not 100 mm, so that makes GBP 9.45/m2 pro rata. added to your m2 chipboard price that comes out at GBP 13.48/m2.

As for being stronger, i think it comes out equal as these are T+G on all edges sides which the 2400 x 1200 sawn panels would not be.

Although i would regard myself as being fairly tight on the materials front, i still don't think the price is dreadful, just the major reservation about if they actually fulfill the function they are advertised for.

Having written that it seems rather stupid :D because anything that doesn't work is a total waste of cash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back