bad job done by a pro!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents are going to pay 5 grand for their new kitchen when its finished. I took a look at it today and its only half done.

My question to you is as follows.

The company has run a new socket for the dishwasher under the worktop and in the cupboard under the SINK! surely this is against building regs? if there was a water leak from the sink pipes it could go in the socket.

Also, would this void their insurance if a fire burnt the house down?
Looks like a bunch of monkeys are doing the job. I certainly would not pay them.

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in saying a provisional should not put a socket under the sink????

sorry if the above confused

No socket outlet, unless waterproof, should be underneath any sink or source of water.

This is kitchen fitters for you.

how can the connection be made safer ??

What i mean is do they have grounds to complain? would a fused connection make it safer?

Sponsored Links
Ensure that the circuit has an RCBO installed on it for protection.

Make the kitchen fitters pay for it, or pay to move it.

Can you qualify the statement that only waterproof sockets can be put under a source of water, what about under a central heating boiler?

crystal ball said:
what about under a central heating boiler?
it would melt

if you mean, by the immersion heater that's differnt.

crystal ball said:
Can you qualify the statement that only waterproof sockets can be put under a source of water, what about under a central heating boiler?

There should not be any socket mounted in any location which is liable to water ingress, either from external influences or due to a leak from a pipework or equipment.

Obviously there are common sense limits as to how far you take this, but I would consider putting a normal socket under a sink, a boiler or other similar device as bad design and amateurish.

I would be EXTREMELY dissapointed in my Guys if they did this.

I have a single unswitched socket under a space in the worktop. It is designed for a washing machine. Should this socket be splashproof? I am about to put a washing machine in the space. The socket is not RCD protected.

Journeyman, under the worktop is not the same as under the sink.

If the washing machine leaks, the floor gets wet not the wall..usually.

But this is why I always put kitchen circuits on RCBO's

The socket is under the drainer part of the sink. A cabinet surrounds the plumbing and the sink, but the drainer overlaps the cabinet. The washing machine space is under the overlapped drainer and under the worktop that extends from this. The socket is on the wall at the back of this space. The pipe connections for the washing machine would be above the socket. I agree that the washing machine would leak onto the floor, but what about the inlet pipes and waste pipe. These are on the back of the machine and would be above the socket on the wall.

Sorry, a complicated description. To put it simply. The socket is 12 inches below and 12 inches to the right of the water connections on the back of the machine.

There should not be any socket mounted in any location which is liable to water ingress, either from external influences or due to a leak from a pipework or equipment.

What about airing cupboards with immersion heaters and sometimes header tanks, do we have to fit masterseal switches now?

Had a few dealings with kitchen fitters earlier in the year......funny enough same thing.....spoke to people, they spoke to me etc.....could only put it down to bad design (1st part of the regs), apparently "what ifs" dont count for much. Everyones kitchen is a different size so more than likely sockets will be within areas of the sink unit, but personally accessories used should be suitable for there locations....Have a word with the kitchen fitters and express your concerns, also dont forget to ask for a installation certificate........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back