Baffle for boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo. My boiler's flue, looking at it from outside, visibly slopes down into the inside of the house. The wall it's on faces west. When it rains heavily from a SW direction (which is the prevailing wind here on the coast, like today), water ends up dripping out of the bottom of the boilerl. I don't think thats good! The installer told me some time back that it's meant to slope that way. So I'd like to put a 'shield' around it on 2 sides, namely the top and the right. I realise I have to be careful to ensure fumes still get out, but I'm thinking of using an L shape piece of aluminium (or plastic) that extends a tad further out than the flue, and keeping it and inch or 2 away from the flue. And comments gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
my comment on putting an obstruction 1 or 2 " away from the flue outlet is that it wont comply with the MI's and therefore cannot be done.

I did wonder if something like that would be the case, but as it's only on 2 sides I was hoping it's possible.

what boiler? installer may be talking ****e.

Sponsored Links
It's an Ideal ICOS M3080, a few years old now, but I only put 2 & 2 together last year when I saw that the chipboard base had blown, then actually saw teh water dripping next time the weather was bad (as it is now!!). The Installer serviced it a few months ago, thats when I asked him, I wondered if he was talking tosh.

its a steamer the flue should slope towards the boiler

are you sure uts seales to the wall outside properly :idea:

not necessarily. i know im teaching granny to suck eggs here but many condensers have the slope built into the inner duct and the actual flue as a whole is supposed to be fitted exactly horizontal, i would check the MI's for the boiler and see if thats the case. many of the earlier boilers didnt see the need to slope the inner duct and the flue was installed as you say leading to this sort of issue if a prevailing weather condition allowed it, others have drip trays to catch the rain water of course.

nickso said:
i would check the MI's for the boiler and see if thats the case.

i did :LOL:

1.5 deg towards the boiler ;)

kev is right.
the flue is obviously not fitted correctly as the water should only enter the flue in extreme weather and would pass through the boiler and out through the condense trap.
the boiler is ****e but should be completely dry on the outside. the flue has 2 rings behind the terminal and these should be outside, the inner ring should ideally be about 1/2" from the wall and the wall made good with cement .

Thanks for all the comments. If I recall it was one iof the 1st condensers available, & I got some sort of BigGreen discount, probably to compensate for the neighbour who, not being used to condensing boilers, thought my house was on fire!

I had to have the outside wall re pebbledashed 12 months ago, so the cement bit is ok, I'll have a look at the 'rings' (seals?) later.

The leaks are only when the wind & rain are extreme. I caught the water yesterday in a bowl, and it wasn't that much at all. Last time, though, if I pushed the underside of the casing up at the bottom right, a bit more water spilled out. Is that where the drip tray is, & could the drip tray simply be overflowing?

It's no bother to keep the bowl in there to save the chipboard from getting worse. The boiler works ok heatwise (it clonks a lot which a chemical pressure clean didn't sort it out).

ps are more recent Ideals less sh***te?

Can you post a photo of the flue terminal?

1.5° is a VERY small slope and few installer seem able to realise that and fit them at about 6-8° instead.

This is NOT a very comon problem with that model.

Tony

C Y A before posting ;)

more so on a sunday
food-smiley-003.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back