water getting into boiler through flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time it rains heavily and wind is in the "right" direction my Alpha combi/condenser boiler packs in. is it possible to shield the flue in some way( without blocking it) bBoiler is not yet 5 years old. It is a horizontal flue

Sponsored Links
You'll need guidance from a RGI here.....it is possible to rearrange flues but only with the manufacturers approved parts and specifications.
Its definitely a job for a professional.
John :)

Sponsored Links
This should be under warranty.

What dod the makers have to say?

Tony

It was installed April 2008 and when i contacted Alpha they said it only had 3 year warranty. They told me to contact the installer. I have tried in the past to get him to service it but he never replies to messages. had anothe go yesterday even left message on facebook messanger but no reply.
I cannot accdess this page through my mobile as it will not accept my password! I can read replies but not post any ?? have to go out soon so will not be able to respond til later. Thanks for caring

Did the problem not occur during the first three years
then?

Tony

No started about 1 year ago. Fitter found small amount of water in and fixed that, then last August I had no hot water and he fitted a new air pressure switch. Since december it has tripped about 5 times always in bad weather. last time I could not get it going again. Plumber came out and found loose connection and got it going again. Now I leave it on all the time (not on Timer) as it normally happens when it first switches on, and just turn thermostat down. I keep being advised to get a new boiler. electrician has confirmed the wiring is ok. At the moment it is ok but I do not trust it

So three different faults in nearly five years.

Thats seems about the reliability to be expected with that model.

If you wanted high reliability then why did you not buy a more expensive boiler like Vaillant or Viessmann which would have been more reliable?

Tony

Bit unfair that Agile, how is the average person supposed to know the pros and cons of different boilers. I imagine when it was fitted her RGI recommended it and she took his word for it.

Because i went with the one the firm recommended, and the firm were recommended by a neighbour. Since then All I get is comments like yours from other fitters. This does not help. I used the small amount of money left after my mother died. it does not help to know I was ripped off. If I Have to have it replaced I will but I cannot really afford it. Heat or Eat seems to be the choice these days. These are difficult times for most of us these days (unless you happen to be a gas fitter) I am living on a state pension and never expected to have this problem. I would have never had the old boiler replaced if I'd known what crap combi boilers are

The average person spending about £1300-£2000 on having a new boiler fitted would reasonably be expected to spend a little time reading up on the subject ( such as reading posts on here ).

Its naive to expect a £600 boiler to be as reliable as a £1000 boiler. It must be cheaper for a reason.

Some installers are scratching round for enough work. Many of those think that rather than giving the customer a range of different boilers that they will get the job if they quote a low price based on a cheap boiler.

The result of that is so many rented flats have the cheapest boilers like the Heatline Vizo ! Many are replace within three years because they fail.

Actually they dont fail because they are cheap boilers! They use the same main parts as expensive boilers.

They fail because mean landlords expect a £300 boiler to be fitted for £200 and the low life who do that cheap work never clean the system so they fail from dirt in the system.

I would charge the same to fit any make of boiler because there is the same amount of work involved whatever the make.

Tony

That was only one of the three faults.

Boilers like cars and washing machines all fail and need to be repaired from time to time. Its just that Alpha boilers seem a bit less reliable than many.. Thats a fact of life.

My computer monitor failed last week and nobody can tell me how to open it up to see whats wrong.

So I have bought a new one but will still see whats up with the old one that was only three years old.

Tony

If you can't work out to open it I can't really see you fixing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back