Baffle for boiler flue

Sponsored Links
My, you boys have been busy!

Me too, as requested I've uploaded a couple of pics. In the rain this morning I couldn't get the angle quite right to show the slope. Hopefully one of these links will work:-

//www.diynot.com/network/cdorling/albums/
//www.diynot.com/network/cdorling/albums/4280

I also contacted Ideal. The lady there gave some very general comments:- "the angle should be flat" and in answer to my question about putting a guard up "we can't officially recommend it" + "as long as you don't block the flue".

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to work out the angle from the photo.

However, from the design of the terminal and the picture I am surprised that its actually causing the problem.

Are you 101% sure the gutter above is not in any way blocked and overflowing in heavy rain?

Tony

Definitely no blockage above, Tony, I'm pretty sure it's from rain that lashes down at an angle when it's really windy.

I read elsewhere about 30cm gaps, & I'll have a look at the MI tonight. If my 'shield' is at least that distance away from the flue, & was just a flat piece of something at a 45 degree angle, with a sufficient depth (ie a bit more than the flue), does that sound like I'd be doing it safely? I could even try and get/make something with a louvre effect.

I would say that its unlikely anything you are likely to make will be suitable.

If you look in the MI then it may have a distance shown below a balcony, often 600 mm.

I suppose if you constructed a "balcony" then that might be acceptable but I still dont se how that will solve the problem if its caused by what you suggest.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back