water getting into boiler through flue

The lady's kicked your ass - get over it. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I'm no plumber so know nothing about boilers. However if I was a plumber and someone said their 3-year-old boiler kept failing when rain blew in through the flue I'd think "maybe the condensate drain is blocked and and water is building up in the drain pot and locking out the boiler.

If you were a plumber you might think that a blocked condensate drain would back up and knock the boiler off anyway, without any rain.

Sponsored Links
Thank you DP. This nis nwhat has happened. I had the air pressure switch replaced last August by a reputable fitter who sub- contracted to British gas and had all their diagnostic equupment.

DP suggested your APS may have failed due to water ingress.

Of course that does happen in some cases. But thats usually found to be because of a flue installation fault or a faulty gutter above it.

But water ingress is least likely during August which is traditionally a hot dry month.

I wonder how you decided the fitter was "reputable"? What I have concluded is that he does not feel much committment to his past customers when he gives no contact details or suggest another engineer to help!

My number is just a single number for friends, Romans and countrymen to call me. Normally answered at 0930-2400hrs even if I am on the job!

Tony

Cant get my head round this reliabilty business, have fitted the so called unreliable units like ferollli, Ideal, Volkera. But out of all the boilers I have had more call backs for and repair jobs are Vaillant, Worcester.
And fitted a volkera over 10 years ago needing only minor adjustments each year. :unsure:

OP wrote
Every time it rains heavily and wind is in the "right" direction my Alpha combi/condenser boiler packs in. is it possible to shield the flue in some way( without blocking it) bBoiler is not yet 5 years old. It is a horizontal flue

Tony wrote
Of course that does happen in some cases. But thats usually found to be because of a flue installation fault or a faulty gutter above it.
But water ingress is least likely during August which is traditionally a hot dry month.

I am confused. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back