Ban the Burkha?

Sponsored Links
i'm for a ban . by the way !!! would just like to squeeze out my doubts!

(am i allowed to quote me? :eek: )

but i think i have changed my mind..... i can't really see a reason to ban it. It doesn't fit well with what my cultural background is, but a big part being happy in life is learning to accept change.

Sponsored Links
a big part being happy in life is learning to accept change.
I used to be 'quite a lad'.... now I'm someone's dad! As soon as I can 'learn to accept change', I'll be happy. :confused:

i think i know what you mean blas... i have three kids... and i still see myself as a teenager....don't want to hang up my boots yet !!!

What i'm on about is that inner feeling where you realise you can't turn back the tide.... there's no point hating the waves as they crash on the beach (and i don't mean immigration)... but you start to focus on the fact that you're alive, have kids, can see etc etc. and that burkhas don't make much difference to you existance..

It sounds utter tosh when you put it on paper (or pixels) because it is such a personal issue...it's not about people telling you what to do, and it's certainly not about accepting defeat, it's about putting things into a real perspective... i think ;)

What i'm on about is that inner feeling where you realise you can't turn back the tide.... there's no point hating the waves as they crash on the beach
Now we're on to Canute :eek:

..it's not about people telling you what to do, and it's certainly not about accepting defeat, it's about putting things into a real perspective... i think ;)
Which is why the Burkha should be banned - as a starting point to remove the shackles of religious and dogmatic gender-based conformity and oppression and give those involved to feel empowered to express themselves and develop a liberal (as in "free") autodidactic approach towards life

Which is why the Burkha should be banned - as a starting point to remove the shackles of religious and dogmatic gender-based conformity and oppression and give those involved to feel empowered to express themselves and develop a liberal (as in "free") autodidactic approach towards life

so you think you should 'free' someone by forcing them to do something they clearly don't want to do? Bizarre logic, if you ask me big D!!

or do you argue they wear the burkha under duress? well would you wear a shirt and tie to an interview? why? do you want to?
life is ALL about compromise..

But the $64k question... how does the burkha adversely affect you?

so you think you should 'free' someone by forcing them to do something they clearly don't want to do? Bizarre logic, if you ask me big D!!
It's a paradox indeed - slaves of yesteryear took a fair old while to adapt to be free, and this is analagous. In fact, it took me a long while to shake off childhood taught "catholicism" and the welks attached to my mind, but well worth the effort.

or do you argue they wear the burkha under duress?
yes, partly through habit (there's a pun there somewhere)

well would you wear a shirt and tie to an interview? why? do you want to?
If the interview requires it then yes. But if I don't want to work there, then no, I wouldn't wear it. This is the very crux of the argument previously stated.

Further example - If I visit a house and the hosts want me to take my shoes off at the doorway, then I can either do so and enter or say no and remain outside.

and by refusing to remove their batman outfit and trying to assimilate, how are they "compromising"?

It's what it represents that affects us all - it's an overt challenge.

I really can't understand what the problem is - if a motorcyclist isn't allowed to wear their crash helmet in a bank / shop etc, why should these oppressed letter box wearing get away with it?
It's OUR country, we have our own ways.
Do we feel threatened? Yes, I think so. Anyone can put on a full dress and bomb / kill innocent people again.
Get real people, it's OUR country and we should protect it.

I really can't understand what the problem is - if a motorcyclist isn't allowed to wear their crash helmet in a bank / shop etc, why should these oppressed letter box wearing get away with it?
It's OUR country, we have our own ways.
Do we feel threatened? Yes, I think so. Anyone can put on a full dress and bomb / kill innocent people again.
Get real people, it's OUR country and we should protect it.

i say un-ban motorcycle helmets!

you don't own the country, you were born here.. like me, and like many burkha wearers

do you feel threatened by a burkha? but not an asian youth with a rucksack? or an ex bouncer with a shotgun? or a paramedic with a knife? or any other human, because the human race is a cruel race

i'm patriotic, but look through history and all human races are a mixed bag, and you're living at the point in time when all the new ingredients are being chucked in the pan - but stay angry, you want an angry and disappointed 70 years? that's fine by the rest of us....

It's a paradox indeed - slaves of yesteryear took a fair old while to adapt to be free, and this is analagous. In fact, it took me a long while to shake off childhood taught "catholicism" and the welks attached to my mind, but well worth the effort.

or do you argue they wear the burkha under duress?
yes, partly through habit (there's a pun there somewhere)

well would you wear a shirt and tie to an interview? why? do you want to?
If the interview requires it then yes. But if I don't want to work there, then no, I wouldn't wear it. This is the very crux of the argument previously stated.

Further example - If I visit a house and the hosts want me to take my shoes off at the doorway, then I can either do so and enter or say no and remain outside.

and by refusing to remove their batman outfit and trying to assimilate, how are they "compromising"?

It's what it represents that affects us all - it's an overt challenge.

i'm too tired to quote all that in bits... but you need to live and let live... be a catholic if you want to. shake it off if you want to, but don't tell others to do anything.

you wear a tie if the interviews requires it? well islam requires that women wear the burkha... you the same then.

as for the shoes, the host has made a law, you abide by it or don't go in. we have no such law in britain about burkhas

so not removing the burkha is not compromising? why should they? would you have them wear Man U shirts too? and baseball caps? what is bristish? you live in a democracy that allows immigrations and achainging face to your country... you have to accept that. You live in a part islamic country.

anyone care to humour me and state what they think the benefits to most of us would be if the burkha was banned?

The real reason for considering banning the burkha is not faithing the terrorism or freeing the oppressed muslim women. The problem is that the percentage of muslims living and getting citizenship in traditionally non-muslim countries is getting up and up due to higher birth rate. And they don't blend with the rest of the population. So it is very likely that in several generations they might be not a minority group any more. How would you like to live in predominantly muslim UK? The burkha is something that is obvious to everybody - that's why it is targeted now. But the real target is the increasing muslimisation of the West-European countries.

Even in muslim countries the burkha is linked with growing religious influence. That's why in some of these countries the governments are not happy with this either - they are facing the possibility of having some aiatollah as a ruler as it happened in Iran.

but don't tell others to do anything.
But you're telling me what to do by telling me not to tell others to do anything :confused:

you wear a tie if the interviews requires it? well islam requires that women wear the burkha.
Islam says no such thing!

as for the shoes, the host has made a law, you abide by it or don't go in. we have no such law in britain about burkhas
Is this thread not about whether we should introduce such laws? :confused:

so not removing the burkha is not compromising? why should they?
er, to compromise

would you have them wear Man U shirts too? and baseball caps? what is bristish?
It's not "what is british", but what is patently not british that is the question

you live in a democracy that allows immigrations and achainging face to your country... you have to accept that.
No I don't. Noone has ever asked me to vote on this specific issue.

You live in a part islamic country.
Wrong emphasis - Islamics have chosen to live in a broadly Christian country.

You live in a part islamic country.

No we don't.
We live in a Christian democracy that allows others to follow their chosen faith. That does not make it 'part Islam'.

(Must type faster! :LOL: )

i say un-ban motorcycle helmets!
Wrong, as an ex motorcyclist, take your helmet off when in a shop etc

you don't own the country, you were born here.. like me, and like many burkha wearers
Sorry, that's carp. Most Burkha wearers I would suspect were born outside of the UK

do you feel threatened by a burkha? but not an asian youth with a rucksack? or an ex bouncer with a shotgun? or a paramedic with a knife? or any other human, because the human race is a cruel race
As I stated before, the same as others on here, it's OUR country and anyone should RESPECT that. I for one would not want to to talk to someone that does not want to respect our values / cultures/ way of life in OUR country. I have dealt in my day to day life and profession with these people. The majority are here for the the taking - they see England / Great Britain as easy pickings, a soft touch, the same as other foreign nationals, but I digress.

i'm patriotic, but look through history and all human races are a mixed bag, and you're living at the point in time when all the new ingredients are being chucked in the pan - but stay angry, you want an angry and disappointed 70 years? that's fine by the rest of us....
If you are patriotic, the same as the the rest of us indiginous folk, then you would understand that we always put the US first. It appears nowadays that we have to cow tow to any race that opposes OUR lifestyle.
I'm all in favour of immigration, albeit on a scale that we can control.
But, and this is a big but, we have the Muslims dictating to us, we the people of OUR country, should support Sharia Law etc, then things have to change.

Sponsored Links
Back