Bathroom Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a newbie to electrics. I'm trying to replace an old light and fan switch in the bathroom. I'm having trouble finding a replacement, probably because the old switch is 15 years old.
I can't find anything remotely like it at B&Q. It's a 250v 10a plate. Think it's a 2-way plate but all similar 2 way plates I've seen don't look anything like this one. Plus there's a small wire on the picture which is 'looping' between two sockets which I don't understand.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

[/img]

Sponsored Links
To be clearer, can we have a picture from farther away so we can see where the wires go?

Also, how do the light and fan work?
Light and fan totally independent?
Fan only on with light but able to switch off fan?
That sort of thing.

Is it a pull string switch or wall switch?

Looks like a 2 gang 2 way which I didn't know they Made in pull switches

Is it a pull string switch or wall switch? Looks like a 2 gang 2 way which I didn't know they Made in pull switches
Yes, it's clearly a 2-gang 2-way switch, but I can't say that I've personally ever seen a 2-gang pull switch of any description, so I rather doubt that it is a pull switch!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Your existing switch is in two halves. Look at it liketwo triangles with one upside down. A bit like this

Now, each of your switches are labelled 1, 2 and 3. You will need to buy a 2 gang, 2 way switch (any type) and tell us how your new switch is marked up.

Sometimes the terminals are C, L1 and L2, Sometimes L1, L2 and L3. and there are several other variations.

Also, all of your wires are the same colour, so there are lots of ways to trip up the unwary!

Suggest you get a permanent marker and mark each of the wires on that switch (i.e. | || ||| etc and take another photo.)

Go buy yourf switch and report back, and we can tell you how to transpose from the old to the new, that is unless you have worked it out for yourself!

Hi, yes 1 pull for switch one 2 pulls for switch 2 !! :LOL:

DS

I was only thinking there was one string controlling both switches. Could be useful for fans.
Maybe - but that functionality (2-pole 2-way, aka DPDT, aka 2-pole changeover) is something that (sometimes to my annoyance) I've never seen in an electrical plate switch, let alone a pull one!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your comments. The switch is not a pull switch its just a normal switch. The fan and light are completely independent.

Taylortwocities - cheers for the diagram. Based on that I think the socket is wired up as follows :-

1)

Ive now bought a 2 way 2 gang switch :-

2)

The challenge now is getting the wires in socket 1)
linked up to socket 2) :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Steve

To make it easier for you (maybe ) put the 4 bottom wires inc link between the common terminals

The top wires on your diagram goto the 1 waY terminals

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back