Baxi BB 401

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for a wee bit of advice before we call in an engineer.

Having an issue with our back boiler that's a real pain. Hopefully I can explain it correctly. We have two settings on the timer control unit. We can have it set just to hot water or we can set it to hot water and central heating.

Obviously our pilot light is on constantly. No issues with that. It operates fine when running hot water only but as soon as we switch it to hot water & central heating the pilot stays lit for maybe 10 mins max then cuts out completely and we have to relight the pilot.

It has been recently serviced by British gas where the thermocouple was replaced so just looking for any ideas as to what the problem could be as we don't want to be hundreds out of pocket as our whole heating system is being replaced in a few months.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Obviously that should not happen. We don't give DIY advice here on gas/combustion issues. But you don't need to know what might be wrong to call any engineer. The whole idea is that they will know!

Depending on how long "recently" was then try calling BG because it does sound to me like something resulting from the work done.

These old BBUs need annual servicing but unless its done very carefully then disturbing them can create new faults.

Tony

No difference in demand it works exactly the same , if its just been serviced get them back its the most basic of boilers and simple fix

And what new faults would a proper service cause then Agile ?

Sponsored Links
Well an engineer that I sent put it back together with the thermostat phial out of position. Read about others doing that on here.

He teaches gas now at the local college!

I wouldnt even of thought it was a boiler problem myself,
Leaving a stat phail isnt really a boiler fault is it Tony thats just carelessness

Agile thats not a boiler problem thats your substandard training and substandard worker not getting the most basic of things right , nothing to do with the service

Well thanks agile. We're talking maybe 3 months ago. It was thoroughly serviced and has been running perfectly. Main problem is BG are no longer willing to service the boiler.

Therefore of course I know an engineer will know but I just wanted to query if anyone here could give me a heads up.

But as you say you don't give that advice here :-/ I didn't realise that when I posted.

Of course not.

But forum rules prevent me from mentioning anything that might.

I don't want any mods deleting my posts or banning me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back