Central Heating drained and now problem with hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had the water drained from the radiators to replace a towel rail. The plumber left it like this as he was going to refil the system the following day (today) but couldnt make it. Today we have no hot water, the boiler was on but no water has heated up. I changed the boiler to the high position and it banged a few times and the pilot light went out. We have been able to relight the pilot light but the boiler still just bangs and goes out. We have also had a humming sound from our airing cupboard which wasnt there before and is on even though the boiler isnt on.
We had problems with our boiler before, the thermocoupler went and then the pump which were both replaced.

Is there anything we can try in the meantime to get our hot water working. Also could this have been caused due to the radiators still being drained.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the system will not work without water in it! as above. turn it off. You can use an immersion heater if you have that, but the boiler must be left off.

are you saying your trying to run a boiler and system with no water in it. or you have tried filling the system and having the problems.

Sponsored Links
I think we are. Our plumber didn't turn the boiler off so we assumed the hot water wouldn't be affected. As far as we knew the hot water in taps and hot water in radiators were on separate loops. We've switched the boiler off now and humming stopped which makes sense now, the pump was getting very hot also.

I'm just hoping when he refils the radiators tomorrow our boiler will work ok, or there will be trouble if he's given us the wrong advice :evil:

just ask him how long has he been pumbing for. and how long at college was he there for. if he says 2 weeks, then theres your answer.because hes either clueless at heating systems or the advice, given has had wires crossed.he proberly ment your hot water will still be available via the electrical immersion heater.

If you've run the boiler with no water you'll be lucky if you don't need a new boiler.

even if the advice given was confused, the situation could have been avoided. If i leave a system drained I make sure that its also inoperable, simples

hmm..low water content. Always found the ones on theses boilers quite durable, you might be ok. fingers crossed :confused:

Isn't the HX just copper tubes on the Apollo.

basically yep. But there's loads around my way still going strong. were put into new builds 15-20yrs ago. They seem to put up with a fair bit of punishment, most of em full of sh1te and connected to microbore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back