baxi solo 3 not lighting, what is sequence of operation?

I am begining to suspect the pcb may have gone to silicon heaven.

before I order one I need to check all components connected to it to make sure one of them isn't dragging it down.

Valve coils - Both have some reading, not short or open so I'm hoping they're ok.

Thermostat and over heat sensors seem to be giving expected readings.

Fan - I have directly connected a supply to it and it spins ok.

I've tested the potentiometer that sets the heat and turns it all on, that's definately fine.

That leaves one thing, the pressure switch. How can I test that? Can you simply suck on the tube whilst metering the connections to see it switch ? Does it swicth at low enough pressures?
Why does it have two pipes?

I have just found something else. The water pump is not being switched off at all whilst the supply is on the boiler even though heat is not being called for. I read somewhere (I've read that many manuals and forums now I can't remember what came from where :LOL:) that the pump does run on for a while (8-10 minutes) after the heat is switched off but I've left it for an hour now and its still powered up.

Sponsored Links
dear oh dear you could'nt make it up really !

By the way Everest18 can you tell me how a multitester works I know it measures resistance & voltage but how does it do it ??
you forgot to ask for info "in laymen's terms"

Sponsored Links
I am begining to suspect the pcb may have gone to silicon heaven.

before I order one I need to check all components connected to it to make sure one of them isn't dragging it down.

Valve coils - Both have some reading, not short or open so I'm hoping they're ok.

Thermostat and over heat sensors seem to be giving expected readings.

Fan - I have directly connected a supply to it and it spins ok.

I've tested the potentiometer that sets the heat and turns it all on, that's definately fine.

That leaves one thing, the pressure switch. How can I test that? Can you simply suck on the tube whilst metering the connections to see it switch ? Does it swicth at low enough pressures?
Why does it have two pipes?

I have just found something else. The water pump is not being switched off at all whilst the supply is on the boiler even though heat is not being called for. I read somewhere (I've read that many manuals and forums now I can't remember what came from where :LOL:) that the pump does run on for a while (8-10 minutes) after the heat is switched off but I've left it for an hour now and its still powered up.

The APS should be in rest position before the boiler tries to fire, the PCB checks this too. Does the APS have two or three wires on it?

The APS should be in rest position before the boiler tries to fire, the PCB checks this too. Does the APS have two or three wires on it?

It has 3.
Am I right in thinking it has two pipes to check the 'negative' and 'positive' pressure created by the airflow entering and exiting the system. ?

My email address is [email protected]

So the Overheat stat is ok, cause it currently reads 0 Ohms which is closed.
you shouldnt get 0 ohms, you should have a readable resistance which will be the same as when the 2 leads are together (test). there will be OL not 0 ohms mate - that means it is screwed. link it out for test purposes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back