Bereavement benefit payment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been on the radio
Thousands of people are entitled to bereavement payments if there husband or wife has died whilst you had children

Over 20,000 people have not claimed ??? And the benefit can be claimed right back to 2001

If you know any one they have till the middle of next year to get there claim in

Could be a tidy sum if it’s back dated

It’s an entitlement not a hand out

It’s linked to national insurance ect

Sponsored Links
Its shocking how badly governments treat bereaved families. You can't even get probate sorted out within a reasonable time. They want any taxes due paid on time though.

Sponsored Links
There is some website on the issue run. By
Some organisation that is attempting to
Notify people

According to one lady on the radio it’s a simple process to claim on line took her 10 mins ???

Think the cut off date for a back dated claim is March ?? 2024 ???

Perhaps it was this:

"Charities say new figures obtained by Money Box show that less than 1 in 4 bereaved parents who were not married have claimed a support payment they became entitled to in February. That was when the government changed the law to give cohabiting parents equal rights with parents who were married or in a civil partnership.The Department for Work and Pensions say it's telling bereaved parents about the backdated benefit via stakeholders, charities and a targeted media and social media campaign. More information on who can claim is available at:
www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk/cohabiting

Broadcast 9pm Sunday BBC Radio 4

Its shocking how badly governments treat bereaved families. You can't even get probate sorted out within a reasonable time. They want any taxes due paid on time though.
My FIL's 'estate' is going through probate right now. 6 weeks to gather all the evidence and check things out, followed by waiting for the courts fo a minimum of 19 weeks to ratify it.
In the meantime, after notifying them, the utilities have sent final bills to be paid within 28 days. My wife is currently battling with Eon and OVO over the gas bill. Apparently, FIL transferred his dual tariff to OVO about 18 months before he died. OVO have not been charging for the gas because they say it wasn't transferred. Now they are demanding over £2.5K back payments. It's now been referred to the Ombudsman for a fair decision. In the meantime OVO are saying it's accruing interest, (not sure what rate), which I'm sure is not allowed if it's gone to the Ombudsman.

You will forgive my saying that your post is almost entirely useless.

Dunno than just posting what was on the radio yesterday they stated that

21,000 people Entitled to claim

Details will be on line

There is also a charity set up or about to be for children that have lost a parent

Called Elizabeth’s smile ( afaik)

Set up by the founder of a tech company who recently passed away whilst his daughter was 3 or 4 ??? Charity is named after his daughter Elizabeth

Sponsored Links
Back