Best quality indoor emulsion??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all- could you please recommend a really good quality indoor emulsion for using on plastered walls? Made the mistake of using B&Q own brand last time and had to do about 3 coats... not fun when it's hall, stairs and landing!
Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
If your going to paint on new plastered walls, read the 'painting walls' thread.
In answer to your question, and IMO, 'Dulux' every time. :D

Farrow and Ball is good gear but expensive.

As Spicey spice says...Dulux is good although ive heard their new formultion is very very thick and 'dry' to apply

Crown I find is a little on the 'sticky' side and needs a drop of water in it

Johnstones is good..and apparently the best matt emulsion on the market according to...get this...Dulux! (if you can beleive the paint rep that is!!)

Just stick to the well known brands and youll be fine

But theres no point in getting the best emulsion and ruining it with porr quality tools...make sure you have decent brushes and rollers too

Just to echo what Zampa's said, Dulux is good stuff but I always thin it down a bit because it's too thick. Makes the brush drag too much I think.

Personally I find Farrow & Ball to be the nicest to work with out of the tin and the colours are really nice. Tis expensive though.

If you do a bit of painting I'd invest in a set of Purdy Monarch Elite brushes. You can get a deal on a box set, 1 x 2", 1 x 1.5" and 1 x 1" for £17.50 + VAT, which is a steal as if you look after them they'll last a lifetime.

Sponsored Links
If you're looking for a paint that covers in one coat, Dulux Once is great stuff. It is really thick but still covers when watered down a little. I've recently used the white one to go over a deep red paint and it did the job in one coat. B&Qs own "Once" brand is ok but I've found the finish isn't as clean as Dulux.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back