Biasi 24s boiler fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

We have a Biasi 24s 4 year old combi boiler that has worked perfectly till now. These are the symptoms; the boiler fires for about 30 seconds then goes off for around 10 seconds then fires again continuously. It does this whether in summer (hw only) or winter (hw and ch) mode. The ch switch has no effect, nor does the timer. Hot water comes through as usual and ch seems to be operational but cannot be switched off without switching the boiler off totally.

After about 2 weeks of this I noticed that if I turned off one of the upstairs rads, a few hours later the boiler would start working normally again. At least it would for several hours before reverting back to the same problem.

I’m guessing it might have something to do with replacing a small single rad with a larger double rad about 6 weeks ago, everything seemed ok until about 2 weeks ago when the problem began.

After looking through several other posts on this boiler I’m guessing that it has something to do with the diverter valve. Could anyone shed any more light on this?

Cheers

Mark

Sponsored Links
There are two possibilities:-

Either the pin which operates the DHW flow switch is jammed in the DHW position.

OR

The DHW flow switch pin gland is leaking and water has got into the DHW flow switch.

Dealing with either of these involves removing the gas valve and this should be done by a CORGI registered engineer.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for the advice.

Was hoping it might be something I could fix myself but never mind. Contacted Biasi directly yesterday and an engineer is coming out tomorrow to hopefully fix the problem. £85 call out charge though. Having described the problem to the engineer he also agreed with you that it was probably water in the flow switch.

Cheers

Mark

He charges a £1 more than we do in London then!

Please give him my regards!!!

Had I known that you wanted a professional fix then I could have done it for you and saved you £1 ! ( plus the cost of the parts ). We normally only go as far as the Cov area but I could have used it as an excuse for a balti in Stoney Lane !

Make sure he changes the leaking gland as well as the switch and cleans the operating pin if he does not replace the RH shuttle.

Remember that the real underlying problem is dirt in the system and ideally that should be chemically treated or power flushed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, just to wrap up, the engineer came out and has fixed the fault. It was exactly what you suggested water leaking into the flow switch. There was another slight problem to do with the diverter valve but didn't quite catch the explanation as I was looking after my two young kids.

Thought the final cost was a little on the steep side at £150, £85 call out + £65 parts (new switch and something which reads like g-both, would that be glands?) , especially because they strongly suggested on the phone that the parts would probably only amount to a few quid, oh well, at least it's working now. I wouldn't mind so much but it's not the only thing which has broken over the past fortnight, first the washing machine then the boiler then the car and finally the computer! It's been an expensive start to the new year. I quite fancied a balti tonight too, don't think I can aford one now though:(

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Mark

Hi tony can you give me price of Biasi 24s "timer" and "switch", i need to replace it.

Thanx in advance.

Sujan.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back