big spiders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else have the problem of finding spiders in their house?

Our house was built in the 50's, its a 3-bed semi, we have always found big-ish spiders around the place, but the other day, i was doing some paperwork on my desk, and saw something move on the carpet. I looked, and nothing. Then 2 minutes later, something moved again, i looked, and it was a bloody MASSIVE (i mean MASSIVE, i couldn't get a pint glass over it's legs) spider, so big i could see its eyes! (only kidding but you know the thing)

The thing is, how do i stop these spiders invading our home? Are there any known cures? And how the hell do they get in??? (i think this one had to remove a brick to get in) Do they nest? I'm not the bravest person when it comes to spiders, especially with long legs! Help!

Sponsored Links
I don't, as a rule, have any problem with spiders. I'm quite happy to just pick them up, and throw them out the door. I have, recently though, become quite concerned with the incidents of spider bites. My grand daughter and son (both in Gloucestershire) have suffered from three spider bites between them and my sister in law (in Kent) was actually off work for a week with a very severely swollen arm that was diagnosed as a Spider bite. It makes me think twice now, before picking one up.

I also have this idea, at the back of my mind, that in the event of being colonised by some exotic dangerous species, they would probably become very common, before anyone notices.

They do seem to be getting bigger every year. I believe it's our milder winters allowing them to live longer. The largest I have seen this year sound about the same size as the ones you describe. They also have some pretty massive bodies. Even the cats seem a bit nervous of them. They still have them, just not quite so boldly.

I doubt you'll ever stop them invading the home. The trouble is, even the largest ones start life as rather tiny ones. Once they are in your home, they can also breed there. The kitchen is ideal for them. Kitchen units generally have a gap behind them and also under their bases. Loft spaces, unused chimney flues, inside the boxing around pipes.

There are hundreds of safe little spaces in every home, that spiders find ideal to set up home and breed. As I say, even the biggest spiders start life as tiny little things (quite cute really). I have an absolute hatred of flys, so I'm quite happy to have the odd spider hear and there.

BTW. I once read that, on average, every person eats 8 spiders a year in their sleep :eek: Best taken with a pinch of salt I think :LOL:

I once read that, on average, every person eats 8 spiders a year in their sleep Best taken with a pinch of salt I think

It's a well known fact, indeed, there was an old lady who swallowed a spider, that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her. She swallowed the spider to cacth a fly, I don't know why she swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die..................

These spiders really are small to start with. A very common spider is pholcus phalangoides

see this

They start in a nest of eggs, ours had 50 eggs in a nest about 2.5mm dia, only 4 survived in the toiled, but appear to be growing well. They are a significant predator, and without them you would have loads more flying things about.

Joking aside but some facts for you.

The spiders which you find in your house most probably live there.

Most are hunter killers which dont spin a web but go looking for food which is why you dont find any other insects because your spider is cleaning them up for you.

If you kill them or chuck em out then dont be surprised if you start getting other insects come into your house which arent so nice.

Sponsored Links
I think i'd rather a few more flies than the size spiders being talked about here!! :D

Except when it's genus Spermophora which has 6, such as Spermophora senoculata (short bodied cellar spider.

I also saw our biggest spider in the house this year. I am not worried by spiders but I didn't want to take my eyes of this one as I was sat on the bog and I didn't know where it was heading. :D :D

In a previous life I worked in a hotel in Cornwall. It was a well known fact that Dawn, one of the receptionists, was scared sh*****s of spiders.
One day we found a huge one behind the beerpipes in the bar so we put it on a saucer with an overturned teacup over the top.
I took it down to reception when I knew there would be a lot of guests milling around and I put it on the reception desk and told Dawn that one of the guests had left her something (I knew she would think it was a tip).
I was half-way back to the bar when there was such a scream as I had never heard before, followed by smaller screams by various guests.
She didn't speak to me for 2 weeks.

MOST spiders have 6 or 8 eyes, however spiders can have anything from no eyes up to 12 eyes... :idea:

Then you have sea spiders which are not spiders at all.

Spiders are wonderful creatures. They are excellent hunters. They eat nasty things (some eat wasps).

If I find a spider I leave it alone. I work on the theory that if there are bugs for it to eat, then at least I won't have bugs around the place. Except... recently I have been told they also eat dust... it is, after all, dead skin cells and spiders are carniverous.

So, if you keep your house clean and dust free then the only things they could be eating are bugs. Spiders are a great thing to have about the house also because girls are often scared of them. Which means you get to be manly and take them outside for them.

On the whole, spiders are attracted to insects, dust, and they are also attracted to BIG GIRl'S BLOUSES! ;)

Both my wife and daughter are terrified of spiders so I've always got shot of them as I cant stand the screams!!! but my studio is only occupied by me in daytime so I've been leaving them alone but the problem is that there was so many of them that they are s****ing all over my painting, (yes I know what your thinking!!!) and cobwebs everywhere, I found that these little pestclear electronic devises work, you have to plug them in and you need a few of them but after a couple of months I've found that there are alot less spiders, problem might be if you have pets.and I'm told mother-in-laws are effected by them.

I have never seen spider ****t before Richard :LOL:

Tell me did it improve your paintings? :LOL:

Blue and white... with a dash of spider she ite !! Gotcha !! ;)

PS... Very, Very impressive Dickie P ...

Sponsored Links
Back