bleeding/cleaning pump

[

Thanks Chris R I have shut down the radiators upstairs and the lower ones are now working, could you please tell what is meant by balancing I take it mean balancing out the flow of the system by adjusting the flow on the radiator valves. Thank you again for taking the trouble to respond you have saved me a hell of a lot of money and nagging from my family :LOL: :D

Pumps can be ineffective due to sludge but cold lower rads are usually caused by sludge in the system not the pump specifically.
If you shut the "good" rads and the "bad" ones all get hot then the problem is just one of balancing.

Sponsored Links
miko, balancing means adjusting the rad valves until all receive an equal distribution of heat.

The basic principle is to have the rads nearest the boiler with more of a constriction than those further away. You carry out the activity all wheelhead valves fully open, and start with the lockshield valves fully shut - you can find much detail on the forum - look for "radiator balancing" and such like.

Thanks for the information Softus, my system appears to be fully functioning now (fingers crossed).. The forum could do with more people like you. thank you for your help and have a great christmas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back