Boiler declared 'At Risk' because it is in the Bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked British Gas to call out, repair a known fault with my boiler & then I would take up their HOMECARE 200 option for the next 12 months. Upon arriving they took the boiler cover off and made adjustments to the pressure. My partner then had to go out & leave them to it, knowing I would arrive 5 minutes later anyway. When I got there they said there was a faulty diaphragm, that it was a simple fix but they wouldn't be allowed to do it as "the boiler is situated too close to the bathroom suite". They inferred that I could get it repaired elsewhere, as they told me an approximate cost of the parts (£5 for a diaphragm replacement) & said to make sure I "don't let anyone try to rip you off", so endorsing the notion of somebody else repairing it.

I thought it was just some 'fussiness' on the part of BG and I'd get it repaired by someone else, when all of a sudden he produced an 'At Risk' label. It couldn't be attached but was left inside the front control panel.

No issue was raised in the surveys etc with the positioning when I bought the house 2 years ago and on Monday I'm due to have photographs taken to put the house on the market. I asked them why it would have passed various servicing since installation 10 years ago (it was a rented home prior to our purchase) and they just said not everyone follows the standard but as they work for BG they have to. My thinking may be naive but I'm not convinced they've got it right though.

For a start, I'd have thought if the positioning was an issue, could they not have given me the option of having it enclosed? What is the genuine danger to having it within 'touching distance of the sink'? Seriously. The bath I can understand, but there's no way you could reach the boiler if in the bath. You'd be far more likely to fall out, crack your skull & die but I don't want to be burdened with an 'At risk' notice because of that!

I've taken some photographs below & would appreciate a second opinion on this.

P1040566.jpg

P1040565.jpg

Obviously I know nothing of this area but if the regulations do only relate to a distance to the bath, I can post a picture of that too.

Many thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
i don't see a problem from the pictures maybe a (not to current stantards)s but at risk im not to sure about.

Nath

Just be thankful you haven't got to put up with these muppets for the next 12 months :D At Risk hmmmmmmmmmmm

There are certain zones which must be adhered to but the easiest way around this is to box it in (remember to check M.I.s for ventilation.)

Sponsored Links
"Where a room-sealed appliance is installed in a room containing a bath or shower, any electrical switch or appliance control, utilising mains electricity should be so situated that it cannot be touched by a person using the bath or shower"

"Where a room-sealed appliance is installed in a room containing a bath or shower, any electrical switch or appliance control, utilising mains electricity should be so situated that it cannot be touched by a person using the bath or shower"

Well you definitely couldn't touch it whilst using the shower and even if you were at the far end of the bath, you'd have to stretch so far to try and reach it, you're considerably more likely to collapse on the floor in a heap.

So for arguements sake, let's say their 'At Risk' assessment is completely wrong or at least flawed, what do I do now? Is there a record on file? Do I have to contest this through some official channels? I'm looking to sell the house & the last thing I want is for the buyer to be unhappy with the purchase afterwards & claim I didn't inform them of the 'risk'.

right i think baxi or main boiler go and ask manufacture what the minmum dimension are for it be boxed in and then have it retested

Fit a hasp and padlock to prevent wet fingers getting at the control switches.....simples!

Not at risk..... i had gas safe investigate one of my jobs last year when i "at risked" a boiler in a bathroom. It also needed new CC seal so i disconnected it anyway. gas safe reported back to my boss.... "engineer correct to ID appliance due to corroded CC seal, over zealous with bathroom issue, ita an electrical issue and as long as gas is bonded then just to note on gas cert recommend electrician to attend and ensure appliance is electrically safe......." or words to that effect................ surprised BG don`t know the rules or are not getting correct info from the men in the know.

I guessed this was a BG thread before i read it lol :LOL:

I went to job that another had been to and he had At Risked it because it was in bathroom. Granted i could sit on the bath to work on it but it was in a fully enclosed cupboard :rolleyes:

Some dont know there arse from their elbow.

From an electrical point of view. If in Zone 2 then needs to be IPX4. If it has any plug or socket then it needs to be 3 meters from edge of bath or shower. If closer than 3 meters the manufactures need to have said in their paperwork that it is suitable for fitting in that location.

Regulation 701.55 Current-using equipment states in list
In zone l, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided it is suitable for installation in zone I according to the manufacturer's instructions:
(vii) Water heating appliances

That would normally refer to electric showers. It is common to find boilers in cupboards which have a screw driver access. This is to comply with need for a key or tool access. You can have all sorts of electrical equipment under your bath as long as you need a tool to remove the panels.

Unless you could show me paperwork from manufacture to show the boiler was suitable for fitting in a bathroom if I was doing the periodic inspection report it would be listed as (2) Something needing correction but not immediate danger. You should have had PIR's done as required on change of occupant. And you said it was rented so even if you solicitor missed it the fact it was rented it should have been done.

If it were me I would build a cupboard around it with locked door. Then it would pass.

Its a Biasi 24S and we charge £106 including a service.

I would have pointed out on the invoice that its fitted within touching distance of a basin which is not recommended and advise that its enclosed in a cupboard with a lock.

It needs about 25 mm space to sides and front and good ventilation below and above to ensure cooling air flows through the boiler. It should have 200 mm below or a removeable base to the cupboard and some means of gaining access to the flue elbow on top.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back