Boiler Flue Clearance Newbie help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am wanting to put up a shed against my neighbours garage wall. However he has his boiler flue protruding from said wall.

I was hoping anyone could tell me the minimum flue clearance i need to leave to erect my shed side wall.

I have a comfortable 50cm , is this enough in peoples opinioms.

Any help appreciated

Chris

Sponsored Links
it usually depends on the boiler.

his flue shouldnt be directed over the boundary into your property.

stick the shed wherever you like and let him deal with it. :LOL:

his flue should not be in your property. there is a rules for where flues can be sited

All depends how long flue has been there wether it is allowed...

As for original question you will have to find out make and model of boiler to find out how close you can get to it...

Sponsored Links
All depends how long flue has been there wether it is allowed...
It doesn't change the basic law of nuisance and trespass. The neighbour has no right to discharge their combustion products over your land (which includes the air space above it), unless there's a covenant to allow it in your property deeds.

Explain to them that you wish to erect a shed which will block their flue. Give them a reasonable time to make alternative arrangements for the boiler flue (say 3 months?). Best to put it in writing too so there's a written record of your reasonable request. If they refuse to cooperate then you may need to give them written notice of your intentions. Probably best to get some legal advice on how to handle that.

Agreeing with all about discharging over your boundary, but back to the post, if it is a square balanced flue then it should have 600mm all aound it and if a small 4" fan flue then 300mm is ok.

Agreeing with all about discharging over your boundary, but back to the post, if it is a square balanced flue then it should have 600mm all aound it and if a small 4" fan flue then 300mm is ok.

Thats the distance around it.

But the distance in front of it has to be considered.

For the fanned flue 900 mm is considered the basic but many boilers can recirculate POC if there is less than 1200 mm.

For the natural draught 600 mm is usually adequate.

However, as already explained unless a formal right has been granted he has no right at all.

If its been there for more than 12 years he might claim that he has acquired the right to let it remain but that has not been tested in Court.

Tony

You will find that the part J regs changed in 2001 and in 2002 regards fluing into neighbouring properties prior to this it was allowed providing all clearences where meT, Without the need of covenants. Which is why i said it all depends when it was fitted

You will find that the part J regs changed in 2001 and in 2002 regards fluing into neighbouring properties prior to this it was allowed providing all clearences where meT, Without the need of covenants. Which is why i said it all depends when it was fitted

While a discharge over adjoining land was not prohibited under the building regulations, that would still not create an easement.

The landowner could seek an injunction at any time against the continued discharge and that would be granted if it was sought on non-vexatious grounds like nuisance or because a shed was to be built.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back