Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton (Profile, I think) boiler which has started to give me a problem. The boiler clicks and starts, the pilot ignites and the burner ignites. After anything between a few seconds and a few minutes the boiler will make a banging noise and the burner flame will jump about. Eventually the burner flame will go out but the internal fan will keep running and the boiler doesn't re-cycle to start again. This means that once this has happened it will only restart once the heating or hot water timer has gone off and then back on again. When I had hot water on constant it never started again without manual intervention.

I have had a plumber visit but this does seem to be an intermittent fault and he found nothing wrong. After he left it did seem to work for a few days but is now not working properly again.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Could well be pump failure. That can be intermittent.

You can identify that by an excessive temperature differential betwen the flow and return ( or no differential at all if there is no flow but there is often a little gravity circulation ).

Tony

have you checked the pump, the bit about the flame jumping is worrying though

Sponsored Links
Maybe flame jumping is the wrong description. It could be that as it bangs the flame briefly goes out but manages to re-ignite as it is so quick. When the flame goes out for too long it then has no ignition to light again. This does happen in time to the banging/clunking sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back