boiler spur or on ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have just moved house, and we are currently re-wiring. An electrician said to me that we should run a spur, but the only reasoning he gave was so it could be turned off if it needed to be worked on but surely you just turn the socket off? Its currently plugged into a wall socket.

Not sure if it is a regulation or what?

Sponsored Links
it isnt wrong to have a boiler plugged in, in fact it could be deemed perfect for complete isolation as you pull the plug, but it isnt the modern way to do it and any decent spark would be advising it was wired into a spur as it looks way much better

No problem using a three pin plug but the socket must not have a switch.... This way it can be guaranteed that when isolated both the live and neutral are disconnected....IE the plug must be pulled from the socket. If you use a switched socket, then the temptation of just switching off with the switch will present itself and the appliance is not adequately isolated.

thanks. What about where to run a spur, from the power ring or a separate cable from the consumer unit and a spare RCB?

Sponsored Links
I'm doing it all myself but he will be coming back to connect the new consumer unit up when I'm done?

so not really any need in running a cable from the consumer unit?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back