Boiler won't re-light - has a permanent pilot

Why would the pilot have gone out anyway in the first place? i am not sure?

Over time dust and dirt accumulates in and around the pilot injector,this restricts the amount of gas being passed and thus reduces the size of the pilot flame.With the pilot flame reduced it cannot heat the thermocouple,no heat to the thermocouple shuts down the gas valve.
You cannot relight the pilot because the pilot is to small and/or it isn`t heating the thermocouple.

Get someone in( an RGI) to service the boiler,it sounds like it hasn`t been done for a while.

Sponsored Links
Being a DIYer, and now incurring the wrath of others, it may just need the electrode being cleared/cleaned of sooty deposits and the spark will them arc across, igniting the pilot light. (A bit like cleaning your cars spark plugs). Now that will have opened a can of worms.

Well this is a DIYer advising another DIYer on doing his own gas work!

Not only the blind leading the blind but totally inappropriate advice for obvious safety reasons!

The really bad part is that the DIYer does not have the training to know that something he has done or failed to do is dangerous.

If I ran the world, or even just this forum, then I would prohibit DIYers from giving unsafe advice!

Tony

excuse my ignorance - but why would it be dangerous if i cleaned a pilot filter ??
because its GAS, and if you dont know what you're doing you may leave a leak of gas or fumes or burn something or disable a safety device.......
So let me get this idea straight...only RGI persons know how to repair things?
I have and will continue to repair anything I feel capable of repairing in my own house.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back