Boilermate 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there know about a gledhill boilermate 2000. The property is 4 years old, about 6 months ago the heating packed up so I put it on the electric back up for about 20minutes. turned the system back to normal operation and it worked fine. Have done this loads of times but this time it didnt work. Someone said it might be the heat exchanger scaled up. Any ideas ?? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thermostat failure on Boilermates is quite a common problem - but they normally jam ON.
When you say 'heating packed up' do you mean rads were colds but hot water still hot? Boilermate is a 'heatstore', so if it's hot, the hot water will still work and the problem is probably down to the CH pump. But if the whole thing is cold, it's probably an electronics problem on the heratstore itself.

thanks for the replys. The water is hot at the taps but the radiators are cold and the system doesnt respond to the room stat. I checked the heating pump and it wasnt running, turned the system to electric back up and the heating pump runs and the rads get hot. If I do this for about 20mins then put the system back to normal operation the pump carries on running and the boiler fires up.

Sponsored Links
Aha!
I believe there's a sensor intended to stop cold water circulating round the rads when the heatstore is cold. For some reason, the sensor is getting chilled (until you turn on the electric backup - which is NOT designed to do central heating!) and inhibiting the pump. So - either sensor or electronics problem.

thanks for that I will have to get onto the tech lads and see if they can help me locate the sensor and get a spark in too ££££ :(

I have had the electric tested and all is ok. He wasnt sure how to set the temp on the led by the two small buttons. Anyone know how to do this please ???

if you go to Gledhills websit you can download the full installation and service manual telling you how to go through the onboard diagnosis and setting up of the ACB usibg SW1 and SW2 however these appliances are self commisiong, as soon as power is applied the board autmatically goes to its correct settings.

Just read some of the tech stuff for this thermal store and from what i've come across your problem generally in wimpy homes cos they love these unitsis its likely to be thermal store sensor. This stops the htg pump from running until the store is up to temp usually 70 degrees. once the store is at temp the heating pump runs and rads get hot. the emergency backup is an immersion heater this will heat the store up and fool it into thinking that the boiler has done the work this then makes the pump run giving heating to rads. Sensors are about £30 from gledhill and deliver next day.

FFS, an electrician won't be able to fault-find a Boilermate 2000!

Have you called Gledhill? If not then why not? They're very helpful and will assist you in fault-finding the appliance if you stand next to it while speaking to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back