Boilermate 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could help. I have a boilermate 2000 in a property I rent out, it is just over two years old. The tenants tell me the heating has stopped working. It worked 2 weeks ago when I was last in the house. The hot water is working fine. It appears that the radiators do not heat up when the system is turned on. It does work when it is switched to emergency heating.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this before I call the plumber out to fix it.

Any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks
Michaela

Sponsored Links
Why do I have this feeling that you do not trust your plumber to be able to diagnose the problem or you are expecting him to rip you off?

If you are renting out property then you need to fine a competent CORGI registered engineer whom you can trust to go and fix it quickly.

I have to say that I would never work for you! I am not desperate and I pick and choose who I work for.

Just today a Landlord was very pleased after I fixed a boiler that had baffled the British Gas engineer on their so called breakdown insurance.

The dreadful thing is that it was a very simple fault and was shown by the built in diagnostics which a 16 year old could have read! He was about 35 so not just out of school!

Tony Glazier

Why do I have this feeling that you do not trust your plumber to be able to diagnose the problem or you are expecting him to rip you off?

If you are renting out property then you need to fine a competent CORGI registered engineer whom you can trust to go and fix it quickly.

I have to say that I would never work for you! I am not desperate and I pick and choose who I work for.

Just today a Landlord was very pleased after I fixed a boiler that had baffled the British Gas engineer on their so called breakdown insurance.

The dreadful thing is that it was a very simple fault and was shown by the built in diagnostics which a 16 year old could have read! He was about 35 so not just out of school!

Tony Glazier

pick and choose all you want, give it a few years and you'll be eating those words when you're chasing work that you said you'd never do!

besides, what has the op said to offend you so much, all he requested was some advice regarding this problem before he called in someone AND as you should well know, GLEDHILL products are NOT run of the mill and alot of engineers will not know anything about them. I remember a short while ago you having a dig a me for my sarcastic comment regarding a post, least on that occasion i'd already given some advice to the op!

anyways, back to OP.

the fault could be anything from 1 of the sensors not sending a signal back to PCB, thus not sending 240V to central heating pump, it could be the return sensor on the Plate heat ex is failing and given full demand to hot water (is the hot water very hot? or even not working?)

you mention it works on electric emergency supply fine, this would actually counter mind my above comments potentially.

if i were you, i'd call a few engineers and firstly ask if they know about gledhill boiler mates other wise you'll be paying someone to fix/learn rather than simply fix.

hope this is of SOME help.

Sponsored Links
I do trust my plumber but he asked me to talk to the manufacturer to make sure it is outside of warranty before he looked at it.

I posted the question to get an idea of what I should be expecting to get this fixed.

I take it you have turned the room thermostat up to max??

AND...the boiler stat is up to max too?? the store needs to get up to about 70oC before heating will come on.

When front off boilermate are there and codes displaying on digital display...this will flash a fault code, although first thing I would be looking at is the sensor for CH which may make store think temp inside the store is too low hence not bringing on CH.

HOWEVER

Get your plumber to get on the blower to gledhill there tech help guys are good! they will take him through the settings

Gledhill are awkward and won't talk to anyone who is not registered or an installer :rolleyes:

I have this carp system in my house. Check the ch pump is working properly.

I assume your tenents have full HW usage?

I posted the question to get an idea of what I should be expecting to get this fixed.

Its impossible to say exactly what is actually wrong with yours without seeing any fault codes and doing some tests.

What you should expect is someone who is confident enough at his ability to diagnose the fault that he will diagnose the fault at a fixed or capped cost otherwise he will be learning about them for several hours before he finds the fault.

Whilst you only call him a plumber, one assumes that he is at least CORGI registered and if he cannot find the fault himself will have to ask the makers for help.

The actual fault will be relatively minor, like a sensor, but its the ability to diagnose it that counts!

Tony

Its impossible to say exactly what is actually wrong with yours without seeing any fault codes and doing some tests.

What you should expect is someone who is confident enough at his ability to diagnose the fault that he will diagnose the fault at a fixed or capped cost otherwise he will be learning about them for several hours before he finds the fault.

Whilst you only call him a plumber, one assumes that he is at least CORGI registered and if he cannot find the fault himself will have to ask the makers for help.

The actual fault will be relatively minor, like a sensor, but its the ability to diagnose it that counts!

Tony

why is it such a hardship for you to ask the OP questions that may actually count towards a result rather than ****ing on about what you would or would not do if you were actually standing in front of it?

im not even sure you actually fix any boilers, im pretty sure you go round to a customers house and get thrown out within 30 seconds when they realise what a complete moron you are.(assuming they are not on your list of customers you wont go to because they dont make you a cup of tea :rolleyes: )

your advice seems to consist of....

1. get an rgi
2. random nonsense, nothing to do with the fault in question
3. oooh cant touch that, you might kill yourself
4. get an rgi
5. your engineer is rubbish
6. i suspect you are a landlord
7. i suspect you are tenant
8. i suspect you are a liar
9. !!!!!!

if you have nothing constructive to say then bugger off and let someone ask some pertinent questions without the hindrance of your inane ramblings.

you dont have to be corgi to work on a boilermate.

apologies to the OP for going way off topic.

I dont see how all that helps the OP at all.

However, as you ask what I do then I will tell you what I did today!

I went to a newish boiler in a tenanted flat which had been off for a week. It is covered by a British Gas maintenance contract and their engineer decided it needed a new PCB.

The BG man returned the next day and fitted the new PCB but that did not cure the problem and he gave up! The landlady called me to see it.

When I arrived and turned it on it immediately showed the fault code showing a failed CH sensor. I replaced it and it worked. It took me about 10 minutes!

If you think that I am so unable to fix boilers then what do you think about that 35 y.o. BG fellow who wastes a new PCB and does not get the boiler fixed and is so careless that he does not even look at the diagnostics?

Tony

Because you have that feeling about most punters, that's why.

No he doesn't. This isn't a gas appliance, or a gas appliance problem.

So you're better than a BG engineer. Great.

corgi for a boilermate.
Urr--urrgh.

No you don't. I fix them all the time and have never been, nor will I ever be, an RGI.

It actually helps everyone, because it's accurate, which is what this site is all about. nickso has hit the nail on the head.

Nobody asked you that, so please do NOT tell ..... uh-oh; too late. :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Gledhill are awkward and won't talk to anyone who is not registered or an installer
I find them to be extremely helpful, and I'd expect the OP's plumber to find the same.

I went to a newish boiler in a tenanted flat which had been off for a week. It is covered by a British Gas maintenance contract and their engineer decided it needed a new PCB.

The BG man returned the next day and fitted the new PCB but that did not cure the problem and he gave up! The landlady called me to see it.

When I arrived and turned it on it immediately showed the fault code showing a failed CH sensor. I replaced it and it worked. It took me about 10 minutes!

If you think that I am so unable to fix boilers then what do you think about that 35 y.o. BG fellow who wastes a new PCB and does not get the boiler fixed and is so careless that he does not even look at the diagnostics?

Tony

another fine example of tony's own brand of self involved waffle. if you dont think my post helped how is yours helping? we regularly see you waffle on about how great you are and totally ignore the OP and other posters questions about the fault at hand.

im not going to be drawn into a discussion about an engineer whose ability is a mystery. did the fault code show when he was there? is he an absolute idiot? maybe, god knows we have them. maybe hes not, how do we know? we dont, lets now call all BG engineers utterly useless despite their companies leading market share which gets bigger everyday, despite them doing several million calls a year, despite them being just as fallible as any other rgi out there. ive asked you this before tony, if someone at your work made a mistake and i then came on to the board and called you and your company a bunch of lying, incompetent, dishonest work shy idiots would you be happy about it?

you may be able (im still unconvinced) to fix boilers but your grasp of the difference between hard facts and pure wombling conjecture is very lacking tony. i doubt you have the ability to change either. im also surprised that you replied, you dont usually bother after you put your foot in it. you must spend a lot of time cleaning your shoes.

seco services";p="909403 said:

corgi for a boilermate.
Urr--urrgh.

No you don't. I fix them all the time and have never been, nor will I ever be, an RGI.

no one said you need a corgi for boilermate
it was refering to the question above that said get a corgi engineer.

you said you needed a corgi for a bm, you've even quoted it :confused:

reading it know it stands out.
but it was written meaning i thought it strange that agile suggested that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back