boilermate ov a class / glow worm hxi overheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
boilermate ov A class with a hxi boiler.

Seem to be getting an erratic fault where the boiler overheats because the boiler mate is firing the boiler but not the pump on certain occasions. has anyone come across this problem and solved it? also is it just with this set up or with other boiler makes/models? thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you checked live to boilermate pump when boiler is running and expecting pump to be spinning? Is pump stuck? can you free it with screwdiver in front of pump? could be pcb if new boilermate 2000

just had the fault again, boilermate display shows call for boiler to operate but doesnt order the pump to run for at least 15 seconds

Sponsored Links
I assume this is a new build property? Get builders or installer to call gledhill out under warranty asap

yes, sorry it is a newbuild. We have had Gledhill out and they say it is a compatability problem with the glow worm boiler and they have no similar problems with any other boiler. The builder has offered to replace boiler but we dont want to change and then find we have the problem again

Was it actually Gledhill who came out or installer???

I dont know the new hxi fully but believe it wants to control the pump itself. If this is the case then possible wiring mis match! If this is not the case then boiler will have normal permanent live and switched live connections. I would assume that switched live would only work when boilermate is calling for heat and pump to work!

Why do Gledhill say it is incompatible. What ever it is down to builders to sort problem under warranty. Do your neighbours have this problem with the same set up?

Probably not. I think Gledhill are giving you a load of b*******. I still suspect PCB. Lots of issues with these new ones as well as the hot water temperature sensors.

maybe you need builders to arrange a meet on site with you, gledhill and Glow Worm?

A side issue here is that I cannot see generally how a condensing boiler is compatible with a boilermate , as this is a thermal store the boiler is supposed to work at maximum temp. Condensing boilers are designed to work at around 60C or less. To me this is the incompatability.

gray134 said:
yes, sorry it is a newbuild. We have had Gledhill out and they say it is a compatability problem with the glow worm boiler and they have no similar problems with any other boiler. The builder has offered to replace boiler but we dont want to change and then find we have the problem again

if that is the problem/solution you may not have a choice unless you want to put up with the fault.

why dont you want to change boiler? surely they are paying for it?

I cant think what a glow worm has or hasn't compared to any other condensing boiler. To me problem is with Boilermate.

What you think nickso :confused:

I am quite happy to have the boiler changed but want to make sure i get a replacement that does not do this, what bothers me is that gledhill say its the boilers fault while our installer showed us the reading on the boiler mate that showed it telling the boiler to run while not telling the pump to run causing the overheat so i find it hard to believe if i change to any other boiler i wont have the same problems, also a few other neighbours have said they have had it once or twice

hmm....interesting.

ive not seen one of the a class bm's yet.

ill go for a dig around and see what i can find.

initial thoughts are the same as gas4you.....the boiler needs to be wired so it doesnt control the pumps in anyway....the BM should control all of that.

I definitely suspect the boilermate pcb. They are known to fault regularly.

Trouble is a lot of manufacturers will not admit faults and try to lay blame somewhere else.

I cannot see a new boiler making any difference!

I have one of these new boilermates in my new build unfortunately. I don't like them at all. Builders like them as you get mains pressure hot water without having to comply with G3 unvented building regs!

hmm cant find any info on the a-class.

the hxi does have connections for a pump but doesnt say if you have to use them....only mentions the lack of pump overrun if its not connected to boiler. i would have thought that wouldnt be important if the BM was doing the pump overrun itself.....maybe its not :confused:

did either of you get instructions with the BM? would be handy to check the wiring on that.

Just been out on breakdown so had time to think about this one!

Do you think we are looking at this the wrong way round as I cannot think that any boiler would go to overheat through a delay of 15 secs before the pump cuts in at start up.

I'm wondering now if its the boiler needing a pump over run and the boilermate is not giving that. To me It would explain the overheat cutting out more and possilbly point to a wiring connection fault?

What do you think nickso?

I'll try to dig around for more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back