boilermate ov a class / glow worm hxi overheat

i dont think we have all the information here. i reckon its going to be pretty difficult to diagnose this over the interweb. lets review the info so far:-

just had the fault again, boilermate display shows call for boiler to operate but doesnt order the pump to run for at least 15 seconds

this statement, if true, has nothing to do with any overrun....its all about the boilermate not switching the pump on under initial demand

Seem to be getting an erratic fault where the boiler overheats because the boiler mate is firing the boiler but not the pump on certain occasions

same with that one.

We have had Gledhill out and they say it is a compatability problem with the glow worm boiler

we need to know exactly why gledhill think this is the case.

showed it telling the boiler to run while not telling the pump to run causing the overheat

more showing the boilermate to be faulty

also a few other neighbours have said they have had it once or twice

now we ask ourselves if the builders have messed up the wiring or have indeed chosen the wrong boiler.

theres a lot of poking around inside the wiring/boilermate/gloworm that i would need to do before i gave even a reasonable guess im afraid.

Sponsored Links
As said before I think it can only be resolved by a site meeting between all parties concerned.

Glow Worm, Gledhill. installer, sparky's & builder.

Wish I had an excuse for mine to be removed though :LOL:

gas4you said:
As said before I think it can only be resolved by a site meeting between all parties concerned.

Glow Worm, Gledhill. installer, sparky's & builder.

Wish I had an excuse for mine to be removed though :LOL:

yeh lol.......try and get that lot to turn up in even the same week and you will be lucky......more likely to see jesus pulling pints at your local. :eek:

i cant comment on the new gledhills cos ive not seen one past the BM2000, but i think they get a bad press. my BM2 was great and is still going strong in my mates flat as we speak. no parts have been put on it in 10years. the only outlay has been some inhibitor now and again.

to me it is a common modern day problem. They get a new pcb and think 'look at this, what else can we make it do that is not really necessary?'

All manufacturers are the same :!:

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

gledhill have apparently been onsite to a neighbours and checked the system, at first they said it was down to the boiler overheat protection kicking in at around 86 degrees but then said its compatability with glow worm, their reason is that they dont have this problem when the boilermate is used alongside any non glow worm boiler

gray134 said:
thanks for the replies.

gledhill have apparently been onsite to a neighbours and checked the system, at first they said it was down to the boiler overheat protection kicking in at around 86 degrees but then said its compatability with glow worm, their reason is that they dont have this problem when the boilermate is used alongside any non glow worm boiler

but that doesnt answer the real question does it....well not in a direct manner anyway.

why does the boilermate not switch the pump on with the boiler when there is a demand?

lets not forget the pump is inside and is directly controlled by the BM. why does it make a difference if its a gloworm? if they havent conclusively proved what the fault with the gloworm is then they cant really say with all certainty that the BM is working properly either.

I assume your new boiler mate is same as mine, 3 pumps and a secondary DHW heat exchanger?

Well at least I know we're talking about the same one then. one pump circulates water between the boiler and boilermate. other one circulates hot thermal store water around radiators. Third one circulates stored water around plate heat exchanger to produce hot water, same principle as a combi. Your problem is with the first one listed here.

I still can't think why the HXi is going to overheat so quickly unless as said before there is no overrun.

I'll keep thinking!

gas4you said:
I still can't think why the HXi is going to overheat so quickly unless as said before there is no overrun.

why do you insist its the overrun when the OP's posts have all pointed to the fault being on initial demand?

I agree with what op posts say, but I cannot believe any boiler would go to overheat after firing for only 15 secs. If overrun would go to overheat as soon as pump stops!

Only a suggestion :confused:

dont take it personally...it wasnt an attack....just a question. :D

dont turn into tony :LOL:

thats all fine if you are assuming the boiler is stone cold. if its already heated and then starts again after reaching temp with no pump it could overheat in 15 secs....if thats even an accurate assessment by the OP.

like i said earlier i dont think we have all the info.

gas4you said:
Well at least I know we're talking about the same one then. one pump circulates water between the boiler and boilermate. other one circulates hot thermal store water around radiators. Third one circulates stored water around plate heat exchanger to produce hot water, same principle as a combi. Your problem is with the first one listed here.
quote]

Surely the boiler pump should be controlled by the boiler to ensure that any required over run is provided ???

If that mod were done then I cannot see how any problem could arise.

Furthermore, I dont see how G-W can agree that their boiler can be used in any other mode.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back