Boilermate OV A Class - Hot water in Morning showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys

Dare I say I have a Boilermate OV A-Class linked to a Potterton boiler in my home which I bought new approx 11 years ago. Although I have only had a couple of problems with the A Class, the problems that have happened have been pretty major. One time no heating (issue with the main board), second time no hot water (heat exchanger issue - scaling, solved by a softner and new exchanger).

Now, in the morning only, showers go from hot to cold, but hot water is good in the taps. Current environment is:

1. Potterton Boiler has not been serviced since 2015 ive had to reset it a number of times due to no heating/hot water

2. The Expansion take on the top of the boiler mate has very little water in it

3. Please see the attached picture, not sure if this is showing an error code or not

4. I figured that my first step is to get the boiler serviced, but then I read that its actually the boilermate that controls the potterton.

5. Ive loosely wrapped the A Class with insulation has in the summer the heat from the cupboard dissipates and it gets very very hot.

My questions:

1. What troubleshooting steps should I take? I figure the little water in the expansion tank of the boilermate is an issue, what/how should I check?

2. Do I pay 80 uk pounds to an independent gas engineer to service my boiler? or shall I sign up to British gas home care as they can deal with any future issues?

I am a total newbie to all of this, so I would be grateful for your basic instructions and advice

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
The boiler needs to be serviced. Use an independent - British Gas will just try to sell you a new boiler.

As for the Boilemate - it belongs in a skip. Dispose of it at the first possible opportunity.

Thank you Flameport I couldnt agree more, but I am assuming thats not a small job and could cost a fortune right? Plus what would I replace it with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back