brittony combi 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI guys sorry about this explaination im in the navy at sea at the moment its just what the missus described over the phone to me.

Right water is leaking from the pressure relief valve. Which i told her is normal but she says it coming from the bottom of it and not the relief bit on the top. She says it quite substantial enough to soak the carpet any ideas i can do much from where i am so your help is much appriciated

cheers

hendo

Sponsored Links
I reckon she just wants a Plumber around for some Sunday breakfast :D

I would suggest she gets a bucket and puts it under the boiler.

She could also tell you what the pressure in the boiler is and if the filling loop is open or closed.

What are you doing all at sea?

Do you call at any ports?

Tony

im a weapons engineers weve just been to norway and were stopping a few places in the baltic back home in two weeks.

Its not what i wanted to hear over the phone when i phoned her LOL.

She is aware of the filling loop its colsed but she uses it to repressure the system. She has been advised to put a bucket there and repot to me how full it gets overnight LOL.

Any ideas what it can be she say HW and CH are working fine as they should and the leak is defo comung from the bottom of it so i have to take her word for it.

My first though was she had over pressurised it and it was exiting from the top but she says no.

any ideas cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Has she actually said she is having to keep topping up the pressure?

Ask her if the pressure guage is dropping. If it is then it points to a leak on the heating/heat exchanger side of the boiler/system. If there is no pressure drop then it points to a leak on the col inlet/hot out let pipe work. I boiler is not firing up unnecessarily then I would go for cold inlet leak.

What is the pressure gauge showing - should be about 1 Bar with the radiators cold. Has she overpresurised the boiler before ie so the safety valve has opened?

The pressure valve is on the lower right side at the front. Often the plastic tube connecting onto it is missing (as in the image) so over presurisation will leak water under the boiler. Check the knurled wheel is fully screwed to the right.

The most common leak on the right side of the boiler is from the auto air vent. The original types (red cap) often leak from the cap. They can also leak from the O ring connection between the aav and the knurled circular plastic part they screw into. In the image the AAV has been replaced by a Caleffi type (much cheaper option).

Sometimes the flow sensors also leak - these are the other two circular plastic parts at the back of the boiler.

A friend of mine was a navy weapons electronics engineer. But he was a little odd and volunteered for diesel subs which everyone else thought was very unusual.

At Aden there were 27 on deck and he was the only one to get shot! He had to be flown back to UK.

Sorry about boiler!

Tony

The pressue relief valve is unscwewed fully anti clockwise i.e. not engaged like the drawing is. What is the AAV you talk about.
She need to keep repressurising the boiler every few days.

cheers

Agile said:
A friend of mine was a navy weapons electronics engineer. But he was a little odd and volunteered for diesel subs which everyone else thought was very unusual.

At Aden there were 27 on deck and he was the only one to get shot! He had to be flown back to UK.
... which was nice.

patrick_nice.jpg

That one in Geoffs nice picture is fully screwed anti clockwise which is the correct position for normal use.

I am going to buy a digi camera tomorrow so that I can take all these pics as well!

How are your weapons?

Tony

good mate there all working LOL dont know if you read my last post but the boiler is playing up constantly it well old so i think i may be getting a new 1 dont fancy a job in portsmouth do you ill give you a tour of the ship LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back