Broken tap? Half a turn before any water....

Hi all

After successfully putting this job off for a few months, I got down to it today only to find the shroud impossible to undo. I wondered if any one has any tips? I tried some vinegar, then some WD40, but it just won't shift. I have a spare shroud so it does not matter if is gets mutilated in the process. In fact, it is already a bit battle worn from my efforts!

It is definitely a screw on type.

Any tips would be great.

If the cold tap in question is fed from the tank in the loft I wouldn't want to be drinking it anyway! (I would check!) :eek:

There's no water from the tap when I turn off the mains, so presumably I'm ok???

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I followed the "lube it up" advice and all is working great. Thanks so much for the suggestions and hand holding. This time round, the DIY Frank Spencer has come up trumps (I think)!

There are a couple of things I wanted to check though:

1. When I undone the main nut (beneath the shroud) I had to use some major force. As such, the whole tap did move a little (less than a cm). Might this cause a problem? There;s no leaks from beneath, where the tap meets the pipes. But should I keep an eye on it or do anything?

2. I stuck a fair bit of grease in there. All over the tap innards and in the hole create where the tap innard goes. Is that ok? Any problems with overdoing it on the grease front (baby)?

3. Just beneath the part I'm pointing to here:

There was a little rubber ring. When I re-tightened, the ring broke. It doesn't seem to be letting water though. But should I replace it asap?

Thanks again for all the help. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

Max

Sponsored Links
Oooooh Betty....

There is now a very small leak from the nuts/pipework UNDERNEATH the sink, where it joins the tap. Could this be because the tap turned when I untightened and tightened? Or could it have something to do with the broken rubber ring?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back