BT Master socket/ wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just sorted out getting a landline from BT and broadband package for a property I've recently moved into. Alas, there is no master socket. I know you're not supposed to connect these things yourself but the £125 connection charge was a bit off putting so I've had a go.... and as far as they were concerned there should have been one in the house already.

... seen all the discussions and read about the way to wire the things. Found a four core wire in a grey box just outside my door which had been cut. Got the blue wire going to terminal 2 and the blue/white going to terminal 5 but nothing happens when I plug the phone in (have tried every other possible combination/ checked with a volt meter and the two wires are 'live'). Is there something I'm missing? Just wanted to check before I give in and get a BT engineer out.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you should have 50v dc on a normal phone line ie a live and an earth this is what you need to connect to , is your house fed via an underground cable or an overhead cable???

Sounds like I may be playing around with the wrong wire - a Virgin one. Need to have another hunt around for the BT one. Pretty sure it'll be underground as I can't remember seeing any poles around? It's a ground floor maisonette - excouncil, built about 30 years ago.

Sponsored Links
I would say the line is likely dead.

Just connect the master socket to the pair in the JB by the door. Then ring and ask for the line to be re-enabled. If they can see the site had a point, and you say you have a socket, they will liven it for free, and if you still cant get any joy, report a line fault. The lines will turn up and connect it correctly, and will assume it was previous owners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back