bubbling and banging noise from back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old elsen heating system and every time i ignite the boiler after a few minutes a bubbling sound can be heard, it sound like the boiler is being hit with a hammer....??

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's short of water.
Verify the ball cock in the relevant tank is functioning ok and water is available to replace any lost.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's "kettling" a highly technical term for what a scaled up boiler does :). Try adding some system cleaner to the water in header tank after draining the tank + a couple of litres, then refill the tank and operate for 2 weeks or so. Then drain everything a couple of times to remove the loosened material if the problem has gone. Leave it a bit longer if it hasn't.

Refill, adding corrosion inhibitor.

Don't worry about generating leaks (if any). If you don't find the leaks now, the leaks will find you some day whether you do anything or not, so you might as well find them.

Sponsored Links
cheers oilman that sounds about the best so far....i will check..thanks

oilman said:
It's "kettling" a highly technical term for what a scaled up boiler does :). Try adding some system cleaner to the water in header tank after draining the tank + a couple of litres, then refill the tank and operate for 2 weeks or so. Then drain everything a couple of times to remove the loosened material if the problem has gone. Leave it a bit longer if it hasn't.

Refill, adding corrosion inhibitor.

Don't worry about generating leaks (if any). If you don't find the leaks now, the leaks will find you some day whether you do anything or not, so you might as well find them.[/LEEKS WOT LEEKS]

Stott, it seems your use of the "quote' function seems to have lost the "/quote" terminator.

This was to preempt objections to using chemical treatments in an older system. A view in the pluming world is that adding descaler to old systems could cause leeks, er I mean leaks. The might appear in radiators with rusty bottoms, for example. They could cause poor joints to leak too.

If you get leaks because of parts of the system being unsound, then you might as well find them while you are looking for them. If you do nothing, the system will continue degrading, and some of the leaks will happen all by them selves, and it might not be so convenient.

oilman said:
Stott, it seems your use of the "quote' function seems to have lost the "/quote" terminator.

This was to preempt objections to using chemical treatments in an older system. A view in the pluming world is that adding descaler to old systems could cause leeks, er I mean leaks. The might appear in radiators with rusty bottoms, for example. They could cause poor joints to leak too.

If you get leaks because of parts of the system being unsound, then you might as well find them while you are looking for them. If you do nothing, the system will continue degrading, and some of the leaks will happen all by them selves, and it might not be so convenient.
Thanks for the information.....i think its time to replace this old system with a new combi.........see ya

Change you boiler if you want to, but the one you have may only need a system clean. If the installers of your new one do their job properly you will get a system clean (powerflush) as part of the work, and it may find the possible leaks. So why not just clean the system first, it might be a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back