Buderus 500 boiler range.. split hydrobloc !? (common?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening guys, got a Buderus combi boiler that appears to have a leak from the hydrobloc.

never seen/changed one of these before but looks a bit of a pig !
could anyone advise if theyve done these what sort of timescale its likely to take and also any advice/tips of best way to tackle it.

Also read somewhere that this is caused by the preheat function ? is this true ...

Sponsored Links
Absolute pig of a job, not even worth attempting.

Book WB out on a fixed price repair, the parts alone are more than the price of the WB fee.

If you do want to do it then labour wise, at least half a day, possibly longer if you've never done one before. Expect tears and swearing at some point too. We had one subbie walk off the job midway through doing one of these.

Just thought I would add this in case it helps anyone else as the info on this forum helped me. I have a Buderus 500 28/c wich was fitted June 2007 and until now has had zero problems. The boiler developed a gas leak, I thought it was coming from the ignition seal as I could see it was cracked, so I ordered a new one. When I came to fit it the seal was completely destroyed and fell into a million pieces when I took it out, I also noticed that the similar seal to the ionisation electrode was the same, so ordered this and changed this as well. Both were completely knackered. There was still a leak though so thought it must be coming from the heat exchange seal so changed this as well, I also changed the burner seal, though this should be done every year or so anyway. All of the above are really easy jobs...but stil a gas leak so came on this site and heard about the hydrobloc issue. Pretty sure that's what the problem is now, though the seals I changed needed doing anyway. So I called Buderus to see if my boiler was one of the ones subject to the recall, they confirmed and they are sending an engineer out tomorrow free of charge to replace it. I didn't even have to argue with them, I was quite surprised given how old the boiler is and how long ago the recall was. Worth trying...number is 0844 8929700

Sponsored Links
Just thought I would add this in case it helps anyone else as the info on this forum helped me. I have a Buderus 500 28/c wich was fitted June 2007 and until now has had zero problems. The boiler developed a gas leak, I thought it was coming from the ignition seal as I could see it was cracked, so I ordered a new one. When I came to fit it the seal was completely destroyed and fell into a million pieces when I took it out, I also noticed that the similar seal to the ionisation electrode was the same, so ordered this and changed this as well. Both were completely knackered. There was still a leak though so thought it must be coming from the heat exchange seal so changed this as well, I also changed the burner seal, though this should be done every year or so anyway. All of the above are really easy jobs...but stil a gas leak so came on this site and heard about the hydrobloc issue. Pretty sure that's what the problem is now, though the seals I changed needed doing anyway. So I called Buderus to see if my boiler was one of the ones subject to the recall, they confirmed and they are sending an engineer out tomorrow free of charge to replace it. I didn't even have to argue with them, I was quite surprised given how old the boiler is and how long ago the recall was. Worth trying...number is 0844 8929700

Presumably the boiler was never registered with boulter/worcester bosch when it was fitted as they did the burner update work ages ago.

I very much doubt your going to get a new hydroblock as the gas doesnt go through the hydroblock only water.

Ah, yes you are right, it is the burner they are doing, not the hydrobloc, sorry got confused. Will make sure I dont use the preheat function from now on, and yes it was never registered.

Ah, yes you are right, it is the burner they are doing, not the hydrobloc, sorry got confused. Will make sure I dont use the preheat function from now on, and yes it was never registered.

As you were doing illegal gas repairs to the boiler it sounds as if the original installation was probably illegal as well.

At least if its properly registered you have the benefit of the warranty and any recalls!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back