Building over drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

first off this is my first post so be gentle. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post either!

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my drains at the moment, I'm planing to build an extension to the rear of my property but there is a drain around 1.5m from my back door, I have opened it up and its only about 0.6m deep and has feeds from a neighbouring property and from my kitchen waste, my WC waste goes into the same drain further along but has no inspection hatch!

i have explored all the options of moving it or decommissioning the hatch but these are non starters, i have decided to put in a double sealed inspection hatch inside the planned extension however when i looked into this it would appear that Anglian Water don't allow this (Anglian deal with my sewerage), this has left me in the position where i dont know who owns the drain and whether or not i'm allowed to build over it!

Any and all advice would be kindly accepted!

Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
You need to ascertain who is responsible for the drain. It might be you and possibly your neighbours but it could be a publicly adpoted drain. If it's not now it soon will be.

You cannot just build over the IC. You can build over pipes but you need to do it properly.

How do you intend to approach BC. Will you use a Building Notice or Full Regs application?
A full regs application will resolve the isuue to an extent.

Hi,

Cheers for the reply.

I have been on the blower to Anglian Water and they inform me that it's not their drain, as such i believe it to be a private drain, due to the diameter of the pipe i can only assume it only serves a few houses along the road.

I have also now spoken with the local BC and they told me i can build over the IC so long as i put a double sealed screw down cover on it.

I heard rumours about the adoption of the drains but i assume so long as i get my full plans application in and throw the foundations in the ground then this will not be a problem! have you heard any news on how soon the adoption of private drains will take place?

I was planning to straddle the drain itself using a lintel over the top and surrounding the pipe in sand or the like! would this suffice? the drain is around 0.6m below the ground and in my area footings usually go down about 2m!

TBH, I'm only a DIYer, but hopefully now there's enough info for the more experienced to advise definitively.

If people like Hugh Jaleak, Noseall, theoldun, etc. replies they're your rock solid advice.

Sponsored Links
5 days and counting till public sewers on privtate land become someone elses responsability........

All my neighbours on the stretch are poised by their telephone waiting to report our issues.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back