Building overhand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I talked to a bricklayer last week who said you can get special string blocks designed for stringing up between inside corners when building overhand (and don't think he was referring to the inside-angle type blakes profiles) but I can't find anything on Google.

I don't have a huge number to lay but they're all consistently sized blocks so if I could get a string up on the inside face it should be fine.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Possibly talking about Armeg line runners, which are not cheap.
You could also google line stretchers, the Yanks have been using them for many years.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you just stick the pin in a joint?

If its blocks, have the line on the side of the wall nearest to you

Possibly talking about Armeg line runners, which are not cheap.

I think that's probably it... he did make that kind of shape with his hand. Looks like £25/pair on eBay.

Why wouldn't you just stick the pin in a joint?

I've never really got on with line pins. Maybe because I only lay a bit at a time so knocking pins in to joints is easier said than done on two day old mortar. My usual method is plastic corner blocks, or even string wrapped around bricks. I've got a couple of pins in the garage through so might break them out for a change.

Sponsored Links
But why would you want to lay blocks on an internal wall overhand? Put the line on the side near you, and lay them normal hand

I think that's probably it... he did make that kind of shape with his hand. Looks like £25/pair on eBay.

I've never really got on with line pins. Maybe because I only lay a bit at a time so knocking pins in to joints is easier said than done on two day old mortar.

If you build an internal corner in brick or block and are not going to run in the wall for a while, just push in the pins and take them out again where you need them.
This way it's easier to knock them in later when you start running the line.

But why would you want to lay blocks on an internal wall overhand? Put the line on the side near you, and lay them normal hand

Yes, I don't - when I say inside corners I mean the inside edge of the outer skin, but I still can't think of an easy way of getting the corners up and then stringing a line. it's the same question on both inner and outer skin because I can lay the string on the nearest side of the outer skin due to the uniformity of the blocks, but once I get the corner up a few courses I think I'll have to use pins or the clamps stuart suggested.

I'm probably over thinking it given that it'll be rendered.

:) don't worry I know what I mean... I've ordered a pair of the clamps that Stuart suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back