Burglar Alarm Query

Malc said:
I fitted a wireless to my mother's house
sorry to hear that, but thankyou for pointout about the plasterboard ceilings, it shows what has been said earlier is true

Sponsored Links
Wired alarms are the system of choice for professional installers. If there is no problem running the cables then I would recommend a wired system because they are also cheaper than wireless systems.

However, wireless systems gained a reputation for not working which still sticks even though there are a couple of systems on the market that work well. I agree that solar powered wireless alarms are not very good. I agree that the older wireless systems, and probably todays cheap ones, don't work. But the decent onces from Visonic and the Infinite work very well.
http://www.alertelectrical.com/product_subcat.asp?typeID=28&SubID=94

Don't forget Part P buidling regs is now in force. Are you a competent person and does your work fit into the minor works category.
Hi Guys, :) I'm a newbie, apologies for hijacking this post, I have been a keen DIYer for many years and self taught and unqualified in electrics and knowing it is a good master but a bad friend. :) I was wondering after reading the above quote, does this mean I can no longer carry out my own DIY electrics? :confused: I hope not as we novices will have very little to talk about on these DIY electric boards :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the search facility here doesn't work well enough for you to be able to search for "Part P", and it's been a topic of discussion for well over a year now...

You could try just scanning the lists of topics, or searching for ODPM, building regs, building regulations, competent person..

The search on Screwfix works better - that will return results for Part P, as will the same search on the IEE Wiring Regulations forum http://www.iee.org/Forums/categories.cfm?catid=205

There's also a forum called "Ask The Trades", but I can't post a link here because the moderators are behaving like little children and have put in auto-censoring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back